1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

problem with ears when flying any advice please

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by ladybird22, Aug 1, 2012.

1. ladybird22

ladybird22 New commenter

hi i have been having problems with my ears popping when driving or going in lifts and it is v painful. I am due to fly next week and wondering if anyone has any tips for helping with this . I read about ear plugs but any advise v welcome as i am beginning to dread my holiday. Thanks

2. lucyrose50

lucyrose50 Occasional commenter

I used to have the same problem when flying, I was told it's because of the air pressure changing and that if you have a cold or something it's much worse. I was advised to blow my nose a lot to keep everything clear in there, and have some kind of menthol sweets or chewing gum - I haven't had a problem since I started doing that. Hope that helps!

3. dozymare1957

dozymare1957 Occasional commenter

Make sure you blow your nose gently though.
    Sucking any sweets helps apparently.
    When in the car I find that, if I have the front windows closed and someone opens one in the back I have this problem. I have to open the front one just a little bit to clear it up.

4. First you need to check that your ears are clear without any excessive build up of wax-(nurse at your local clinic can check this and also arrange for ears to be syringed if necessary); if all is ok there, then it's just a matter of equalising the pressure in your middle ear as the plane ascends and descends..
    The trick scuba divers use to clear their ears as they descend/ascend is to hold your nose, close your mouth and try to blow air out through your ears-fun underwater as you can see air bubbles coming out of the ears! If you don't equalise the pressure in your ears (even more intense than flying) you can burst ear drums, so it's someything everyone has to learn to do when they learn to dive. Don't practise this too much before hand as you can give yourself earache (easiest way to see if you can clear your ears this way is lying down in the bath) .
    I remember years ago on flights they used to give out barley sugar sweets for people to suck before take off and landing-maybe they still have them, but charge a fortune! I don't know if it was the distraction of sucking something or it was the salivation caused by sucking sugary sweets but it still works for me.

5. I have also suffered with painful ears when flying. It often takes a day for my ears to return to normal.I now take a sudofed decongestant tablet just before each flight (even if not congested!) and this has solved the problem for me.

6. Alice W.

Alice W. New commenter

I've just returned from a holiday abroad and seemed to get some pain both taking off and landing (on the plane). I chewed gum before and during it happening, and also held my nose and kept my mouth closed whilst sort of 'blowing out' (inside my mouth). I hope you understand the 'process' as it worked very well for me!

7. casper

casper New commenter

I used to have terrible problems with this. there is a really easy solution. Buy some Ear Planes from boots. Place them in your ears before you take of and when you have reached a steady height take them off. Again on landing put them in before the decent and you will be fine. They are like ear plugs about £5.00. You can use he same pair on the journey back. Enjoy your trip.

8. coaltown1

coaltown1 New commenter

I am sorry but whenever I read this thread's title I think of Dumbo and find myself trying to solve the problem!

9. lrw22

lrw22 Senior commenter

I thought my ears were popping when driving however my doctor told me that I had a build up of wax in my ears. She said that sometimes this wax would move when I drove and that the sensation of this would feel similar to my ears popping. I had to have my ears syringed which solved the problem.

10. aspensquiver

aspensquiver Star commenter

Sitting as close to the front as possible makes a huge difference.

11. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

Sucking a sweet is helpful but you must resist the temptation to break up the bolied sweet.. Just keep swallowing the juice/saliva
    The advice with babies is to feed them during take-off. Breast or bottle works as it's just a matter of getting the baby to be constantly swallowing to equalise pressure in the eardrum

12. I usually have really bad problems with my ears during take off and landing but didn't this year on my summer holiday which I was relieved at. I always suck on a boiled sweet and pinch my nose before blowing it but usually these things have zero effect on me. I do have ongoing problems with my sinuses though-my ears will pop at absolutely nothing!

13. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

There's a tube leading from your inner ear to your throat called the Eustacian tube. It is closed normally, but when you swallow it opens, allowing the pressure to equalise on both sides of the ear drum. That is its function.
    When you fly the pressure in the cabin (and hence your outer ear) changes, but the pressure inside from the inner ear to the throat does not as the Eustacian tube is closed.
    When you swallow the tube opens and pressure equalises. It's as simple as that!
    Sucking a sweet or chewing gum makes you swallow more frequently than norma,l and hence the pressure adjusts without you even thinking about it.
    Simples! Take sweets or gum.

14. bnm

bnm

I have baro-sinusitis and suffer acute pain when flying (not take off or landing but when up at altitude).
    Sorry to say nothing worked for me so now take mega-combinations of painkillers when I fly (just got a prescription of Tramadol).
    Wishing you better luck than me.