1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Problem with application forms for school counsellor positions

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by theschoolcounsellor, Nov 13, 2019.

1. theschoolcounsellor

theschoolcounsellor New commenter

Hi all,

I'm currently looking for overseas opportunities as a School Counsellor (Socio/Emotional). I have seen a number I would be interested in, but find that when I follow the link from the TES advert to the school website to apply, the job is not listed, despite still being on the TES page and before the application deadline. Is there something I'm doing wrong here and is it worth contacting the school?

Also, a lot of application forms I've filled in seem to be very teacher orientated and are not applicable to my role as a school counsellor. There doesn't seem to be the option to tailor the form to fully evidence my experience and skills.

Is anyone else finding similar or also applying for school counsellor positions? I'd be interested to exchange experiences.

Many thanks

2. austin_jen

austin_jen New commenter

I’m also applying for school counselor opportunities. The applications are definitely geared towards classroom teachers. Can’t say I’ve had trouble with locating the jobs openings using the TES links. Have you had any interviews yet? Is this your first time looking for work abroad?

3. theschoolcounsellor

theschoolcounsellor New commenter

Hello and thanks for your reply. I see you're based in the US and so I imagine the roles we're looking for may be different. I am a socio-emotional/psychotherapist rather than careers/guidance/university applications.

Good luck with your search! I have a number of applications in now and hope there may be some more advertised after Christmas.

4. austin_jen

austin_jen New commenter

I was fortunate enough to receive an offer a few weeks ago in Hanoi, which i accepted. Have you also created a profile on ISS-Schrole? I have experience as a school worker in the public school setting providing individual and group counseling but no experience with university applications or in depth career guidance.

Good luck!