1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Problem Solving Year One

Discussion in 'Primary' started by EBF, Apr 26, 2019.

1. EBF

EBF New commenter

Hello, we introduced the Do it, Prove it, system for maths just after Christmas and now that is embedded we are having a problem solving lesson once a week - the aim being that the Do it etc carries on with the problem solving lesson (I guess each problem is supposed to get progressively trickier). Today I tried, and utterly failed, word problems - they were unable to read some of it and then unable to figure out what it meant. On reflection, I could have used simpler vocab so that is on me, and made it more simplistic in general. I was just wondering how others go about word problems or problem solving/reasoning in general - I found it easier with the older children as they could unpick the language. They do some reasoning through the Do it, Prove it, Use it system but as a whole lesson I am coming up short with ideas. Help. Thanks in advance.

2. Over_the_hill

Over_the_hill Star commenter

With Year 1 problem-solving I have a few children in my class that can write their own responses. For those that can’t I scribe what they say. I’m more interested in hearing what they say and how they try to verbalise their reasoning. Would you be able to do something similar?