1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Problem solving lesson

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by slmoulton, May 11, 2012.

1. Hi
    I am a trainee teacher and I am soon to be observed teaching a maths lesson. The teacher I work with has asked me to teach the class problem solving which is fine, however I am struggling for ideas for my observed lesson as I want it to be fun and interactive and something that the children are really going to enjoy.
    I am working with a year 5/6 class
    If anyone has any ideas they would be greatly appreciated :)

2. PaulDG

PaulDG Occasional commenter

I can't help with a topic, but I can warn you that doing a one off "problem solving" lesson is fraught with disaster - it's likely the kids will not fully understand what's required of them and will respond with misbehaviour because they will not feel "safe".

So, whatever you do do, use the lessons you have with that class between now and then to do some "puzzles". Sodukus, Ken Kens, anything you can clip from a newspaper and photocopy.. maybe some trivial "investigations".

3. Thank you for that heads up!!
    I was planning on doing a few small problem solving investigations with them first, as starters to the lesson to get them used to it but the sudoku idea is good I never thought about that!

4. Thank you
    I have a few lessons on problem solving with them before my observed one, and they have looked at it before in lessons so hopefully it wont come across as though I am just springing it on them