1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

problem solving help

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by doubleraa, Oct 3, 2015.

1. doubleraa

doubleraa New commenter

Hello maths whizzes out there!

I have a couple problems from a sample ks2 reasoning paper here with the answers but I don't know how the answer has been arrived at in order to help the children get there! Please help!

Thomas, Janaid and Sara received a total of £75 for their hard work. Thomas received £8 less than Sara but £5 more than Janaid. How much did they each receive?

Thomas £24, Janaid £19 and Sara £32.

upload_2015-10-3_12-44-42.png

347x26

And this next one without a protractor!
    upload_2015-10-3_12-45-50.png

Thank you very much in advance!

2. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

374*26 with fast & dirty notation:

1. Determine a, which of your five candidate digits factors 2082 into b, a number accounting for three of your four remaining candidate digits.
    2. Position a as your unit digit on line 2. Position b as the three-digit number in line 1.
    3. Call the remaining digit of your five original candidates c and check that it and b produce 694.
    4. Position c as the tens digit in line 2.
    5. Rehearse the calculation to check for errors.

Lunchtime.

3. Vince_Ulam

Thomas, Janaid and Sara:

1. Recognise that each person received a minimum payment of x.
    2. Place the names in order of increasing payment: Janaid, Thomas, Sara.
    3. Abstract the names to terms representing their respective amounts: x, (x + 5), (x + 5 + 8).
    4. Place these three terms in an equation set against their sum, 75: x + x + 5 + x + 5 + 8 = 75.
    5. Simplify: 3x + 18 = 75.
    6. Manipulate this equation to isolate the x term: 3x = 75 - 18.
    7. Simplify: 3x = 57
    8. Divide both sides of the equation by 3 to find the minimum payment: x = 19.
    9. Refer to steps 3 to find that Janaid received the minimum payment of £19, Thomas received £19 + £5 = £24, and Sara received £19 + £5 + £8 = £32.
    10. Check calculations for errors.

Dessert.

4. doubleraa

doubleraa New commenter

Thank you very much!

Any ideas on the triangle one?!

5. Andrew Jeffrey

Andrew Jeffrey New commenter

I am 99% sure that it is a typo on behalf of the producer of the papers. Have you gone back and pointed it out to them? This question cannot be done without measuring instruments, and I am not sure why they mention digit cards, hence my money going on a proof-reading error.

Do you have a contact at ****** that you can ask about this?

6. Incommunicado

Incommunicado Established commenter

What is the 'without a protractor' question.... I can't read it.

7. doubleraa

doubleraa New commenter

It says: Draw an isosceles triangle with 2 sides of length 65mm where the angle between these 2 equal sides is 52 degrees.

Andrew: I agree there's been a misprint as the digit cards must refer to the first question I posted! I know on some papers they allow rulers, protractors etc but on this one it said only a pencil and rubber to be allowed so I wondered if there was a way to do it without a protractor that I didn't know about!

8. CKeyes

CKeyes New commenter

Thomas, Janaid and Sara:
    Bar Modelling Method gets there, without using "x"!

9. Vince_Ulam

Bar Modelling Method, no solution given.

Algebra, no problem.