1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Problem Solving Activity for Year 6 Interview

Discussion in 'Primary' started by paradisecove, May 14, 2011.

1. Hello I'm new to the TES Forum - so have no friends on here yet! Anyway I was hoping that somebody may see this and may be able to help? I have an interview next week where I have to teach a short problem solving lesson - subject of choice - for half an hour - year 6, 31 children of mixed ability. I am struggling with this slightly as not sure which way to go curriculum wise? The obvious choice does seem to be Numeracy, but I want to think a bit more outside the box - any ideas would be greatfully received. x

2. Learning objective?

3. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

You'll get a better response if you describe the plan you've had and ask for constructive criticism.

4. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

I think you were asking in what other curriculum areas, other than numeracy, could you do problem solving activities.
    You could consider an outdoor challenge. How to cross a swamp with limited materials type of activity, although equipment for this might be a problem.
    There used to be an example of this on the QCDA site, but the links don't work well now:
    http://curriculum.qcda.gov.uk/key-stages-1-and-2/assessment/nc-in-action/items/physical-education/6/284.aspx
    There's a swamp cross here:
    http://www.ehow.com/list_6546283_decision-making-games-kids.html
    Based on this, perhaps a look at the PE curriculum might be a good idea?
    Or a D&T building a bridge problem?
    Ideas here:
    http://www.wow4water.net/media/images/bridge%20building%20lesson%20plan.pdf
    Of course these are only ideas - you have time constraints, and so will not be able to do a whole project!

Hope this helps you think 'outside the box'

5. Thats the only plan I've had - the brief is a half hour problem solving activity - your choice of subject to a class of 31 year 6 mixed ability children.

6. Thanks Marlin for your response - I was thinking maybe doing a Trailblazer type problem - only problem I could forsee is space available - ie outside or in the hall - will check out the links you sent me. The only other ideas I have had are for a maths activity ie a cake problem which I have seen on here or a murder mystery involving numbers - which I need to investiage further. Its going to be a tough interview - activities in the morning - including teaching, a written task?, interview with school council, tour of school, meeting staff THEN if you get through that you are invited to a formal interview in the afternoon - I feel exhausted already!

7. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

Good luck [​IMG]