1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Problem Neighbours :(

Discussion in 'Personal' started by weegoose, Aug 7, 2011.

1. weegoose

weegoose New commenter

I am getting increasinly fed up and intimidated by my neighbours. We live in a housing association block of flats and I really do love my flat. I love area because it's central and next to my partner's business but I hate my neighbours. They aren't even our downstairs neighbours, they are diagonally downstairs but because of the way the block is built I think we slightly overlap them.
    Over the last 2 years I've lost count of the number of times that I have had to call the police about noise, music and fighting. Now they've got dogs and just let them run loose in the back garden and they shout abuse at anyone who doesn't keep the gate shut.
    When it's a sunny day they just sit on their balcony drinking and I can't bear to leave the house sometimes because I hate passing them. They are the only people who hang their washing out because I think everyone else just feels that their clothes would be damaged or stolen.
    The final straw was this morning when my boyfriend left to go to work to discover that all of my potted sunflowers are gone from the balcony, pots and all. I'm so annoyed and upset. What are the getting out of that? They aren't even seeing my reaction. It really creeps me out to think that people were crouching outside our door during the night.
    I know it sounds a bit silly but neighbour problems really freak me out. When I was a teenager we had horrible neighbours who led my step-dad to attempting suicide so I had any type of confrontation.
    I've written a letter to the housing officer which I'll post later. This is all I need when I have an interview tomorrow! AGH!

2. weegoose

weegoose New commenter

I am getting increasinly fed up and intimidated by my neighbours. We live in a housing association block of flats and I really do love my flat. I love area because it's central and next to my partner's business but I hate my neighbours. They aren't even our downstairs neighbours, they are diagonally downstairs but because of the way the block is built I think we slightly overlap them.
    Over the last 2 years I've lost count of the number of times that I have had to call the police about noise, music and fighting. Now they've got dogs and just let them run loose in the back garden and they shout abuse at anyone who doesn't keep the gate shut.
    When it's a sunny day they just sit on their balcony drinking and I can't bear to leave the house sometimes because I hate passing them. They are the only people who hang their washing out because I think everyone else just feels that their clothes would be damaged or stolen.
    The final straw was this morning when my boyfriend left to go to work to discover that all of my potted sunflowers are gone from the balcony, pots and all. I'm so annoyed and upset. What are the getting out of that? They aren't even seeing my reaction. It really creeps me out to think that people were crouching outside our door during the night.
    I know it sounds a bit silly but neighbour problems really freak me out. When I was a teenager we had horrible neighbours who led my step-dad to attempting suicide so I had any type of confrontation.
    I've written a letter to the housing officer which I'll post later. This is all I need when I have an interview tomorrow! AGH!

3. Is this allowed under your housing association rules?

4. lardylady

lardylady Lead commenter

Do you get on well with the rest of your neighbours? If they are also intimidated, maybe they could also write to the housing association with a complaint, which might spur the housing association into action more quickly.
    When a young couple moved into the flat next door to us, they were very noisy at night and some parties went on until 4am. We went round to complain and not much happened, but when a few other residents of our block began to complain too, things really improved. In fact, their flat is now up for sale.
    I really do feel for you, but at least you've taken some action by writing the letter.

5. Haven't really any advice, weegoose, just wanted to say I know how rubbish it is to have horrible neighbours and how it can take over your life. It must be bringing back difficult memories of your stepdad's experience.
    You're doing the right thing in going through the proper channels though. Agree with PP about dogs in HA flats. Have you mentione dit in your letter?

Hope you find things a bit more manageable soon., Good luck in your interview.

6. Go hang your washing out, open the gate and bloody leave it open.
    Get up early and play Maria Callas, no doubt they'll still be in bed so play it nice and loud.
    When they complain sweetly apologise, then do the same thing over again.

7. weegoose

weegoose New commenter

You are allowed to have pets as long as you get written permission first (which I doubt they will have done!) so I've mentioned it in my letter. The thing is their flat is just a studio flat so I doubt they will be given permission for the German Shepherd(s) that they have (not sure if it's 1 or 2, think 1 just might be a friend's).

We have a gorgeous little house bunny who runs riot around our 1 bedroom flat and I made sure to get permission for him before we bought him.

Thanks for the interview good luck! It's my first interview for an actual post because all of my previous ones have been for LA pools!

8. TCSC47

TCSC47 Lead commenter

Re the noise. Contact your district council Envornmental Health department. They take noise pollution seriously. In my nearby council (once was) housing estate, a woman has just had a noise abatment order served on her for playing music all night. I can not understand why the police have not advised you to do so.
    re your pot plants and worry about your personal property. This is the age of big brother et al, and you can purchase for £200 to £400, an excellent CCTV system from places like Maplins. You will at least have some evidence about who is taking them. There are no regulations about what you can observe on your own property and you don't have to put up warning signs like in public buildings.
    Make dated and time, detailed notes of all incidents you encounter at the time they happen. You will be surprised at how well they will be taken by the authorities.
    Incidently, do the regulations of your housing association allow the keeping of dogs? Many don't.

9. TCSC47

TCSC47 Lead commenter

re my question on dogs. Just seen your reply about them.
    Good luck with your interview.

10. PlymouthMaid

PlymouthMaid Occasional commenter

They sound pretty awful. We seem to have developed a new set this weekend - next door but one - played very very loud bassy music til past 3 am and at 12.45 am were in the back yard using a chain saw prior to having a noisy barbeque. Now he seem s to have got up a few moments ago and put the loud racket on again. I think we will be finding out who his landlord is pretty quickly and having a word. The good bit this morning was that his car appears to have been clamped for unpaid tax ha ha.