1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Problem converting long cassette recording to ITUNES on PC Help please

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by shalteir, Jan 5, 2011.

1. I am going through some old cassette recordings of songs I recorded converting them to mp3 files on my PC, but have encountered a problem with one long track.
    The system I am using is Tape2PC from PC World, the software it came with is EZ.
    My problem is with a long song, 5min 28sec long and although the EZ window shows continuous recording to the song end, when it converts to ITUNES (ITUNES is the stipulated software format) the song is stored as two files, one, 1min 27secs long is named as the song, the second 4min 01secs is "untitled". I get a continuous playback of the two tracks on the PC, but my concern is I that if I send these files, a receiving PC or CD will receive/record these as two separate tracks. The song is separated at a quiet spot, but there is continuous sound throughout the song.
    Is there a maximum song length, or file size, accepted by ITUNES, is it possible to direct ITUNES to receive this song as one file.
    Many thanks if someone has the answer.

2. I am going through some old cassette recordings of songs I recorded converting them to mp3 files on my PC, but have encountered a problem with one long track.
    The system I am using is Tape2PC from PC World, the software it came with is EZ.
    My problem is with a long song, 5min 28sec long and although the EZ window shows continuous recording to the song end, when it converts to ITUNES (ITUNES is the stipulated software format) the song is stored as two files, one, 1min 27secs long is named as the song, the second 4min 01secs is "untitled". I get a continuous playback of the two tracks on the PC, but my concern is I that if I send these files, a receiving PC or CD will receive/record these as two separate tracks. The song is separated at a quiet spot, but there is continuous sound throughout the song.
    Is there a maximum song length, or file size, accepted by ITUNES, is it possible to direct ITUNES to receive this song as one file.
    Many thanks if someone has the answer.

3. djphillips1408

djphillips1408 New commenter

Could you not just stitch the 2 files together in audacity? Of course this does somewhat assume that you know what audacity is. If not google the word and the first hit will be the free software that you can use to do it.

4. djphillips1408

djphillips1408 New commenter

oops ignore above did not read properly

5. I've done something similar, by connecting an old cassette tape player to a the PC input sockets. It's handy for archiving old computer programs prior to converting to transferring. I used Audacity to read in the input at convert the resulting file to MP3.
    It's nothing to do with iTunes.iTunes probably does have a maximum size but it's nowhere near as short as 5 minutes.This sounds like a product of the "EZ Software".
    Read the files again, in MP3 format, and use Audacity to stitch them together. Or just dump Tape2PC and do it by hand.
    One possibility is that the 'quiet bit' in the middle of the song is so quiet that the software thinks it's a blank section between two songs - it's trying to be helpful but getting it wrong ?
    Don't use iTunes, iApple or iAnything format because it will be full of ****. Use open formats that you can control.

6. Thanks for these replies.