1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Probationer top tip!!!!

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by MezzoMix, Feb 24, 2011.

1. I am signed up to receive GTCS twitter feeds and today I received the top tip for probationers: "Try not to get a song stuck in your head". I really do not believe that this tip will improve my teaching. I like to hum a wee tune from time to time and whilst my pupils probably believe I am bonkers, I don't think it affects their behaviour nor does it affect my street-cred (at least not to my knowledge).

Anyway, was this top tip some kind of joke? I really think GTCS could have done better than this. What about some behaviour management tips or advice on assessment for those teaching certificated classes.

Rant over.

2. I am signed up to receive GTCS twitter feeds and today I received the top tip for probationers: "Try not to get a song stuck in your head". I really do not believe that this tip will improve my teaching. I like to hum a wee tune from time to time and whilst my pupils probably believe I am bonkers, I don't think it affects their behaviour nor does it affect my street-cred (at least not to my knowledge).

Anyway, was this top tip some kind of joke? I really think GTCS could have done better than this. What about some behaviour management tips or advice on assessment for those teaching certificated classes.

Rant over.

3. Wow, that's a bit bizarre...

4. halfajack

halfajack Occasional commenter

They're taken from the book they published a couple of years back and gave out to me and my fellow 'class of 2009.' The book is well presented with nice illustrations but rubbish advice. Tips I remember include wash your cup and be careful what you say to parents in social conversations. Cheers, GTCS! I don't know how I would get by without your wisdom.

5. Yes they always make me happy to subscribe to their words of wisdom!

6. Here's a probationer top tip: Ignore everything the GTCS and Scottish Executive spout. Then you can actually get on with the task in hand - teaching - yer joab!

7. I tend to agree. Except the bit about the Scottish Executive, seeing as it no longer exists...
    It's the Scottish Government these days. :)

8. rednelly84

rednelly84 Occasional commenter

Goodness, I remember receiving that book - think it was filed under B.I.N!!

9. "Try not to get a song stuck in your head". Oh dear - the GTCS really ought to be more 'in tune' with CfE.
    Surely they should be encouraging teachers to be all singing all dancing in order to fully embrace CfE. Being able to remember a tune and to to sing, whistle or hum it is a very important skill.
    Buck up GTCS - only yesterday a child with behaviour issues commented on my singing as I walked down the corridor. With a genuine polite voice he said 'you just can't get a good tune out of your head can you - I'm the same I love singing' .
    He does actually and that was the best thing anybody said to me all day.
    Now that's what I call a hot tip!!!!!!

10. So glad it wasn't just me thinking that the GTCS tips weren't exactly the most useful.

It seems a shame that the GTCS must've run out of funding to continue to supply probationers with that book. It sounds indispensable lol.

Thanks folks for th replies :)