1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Probationer from the Scottish system - what are my chances of working overseas this August?

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by harrypatch, Apr 28, 2011.

1. Hi all,
    I made the decision not to apply for UK jobs this year as I am keen to travel, and have applied for several posts all over the world. However, with one year's experience and being from the Scottish system, I feel I might be flogging the proverbial dead horse!
    I am a teacher of secondary English, and would be willing to teach EAL. Am I wasting my time? Should I wait and try to gain more experience in the UK?
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Good luck to my fellow jobseekers!
    H

2. Hi there,

I am also a teacher within the Scottish system, albeit with a few more years under my belt. I once had an application rejected (from an SCE school), as I didn't have experience of the National Curriculum, which was annoying.

Most Intl schools are happy to employ someone from Scotland, especially if you can demonstrate a working knowledge of the English system as well as explaining the merits of a CfE. Don't go down the road of suggesting that one is superior to the other, as that is folly and not true, but do emphasise how you can 'bring the best of what the UK has to offer' to your chosen school.

I think the main obstacle holding you back is your experience, but it is still possible to pick up a job - especially if a school has a last minute vacancy and you are flexible enough to take a last minute offer. Also, one year of experience is better than none.[​IMG] Thanks to Prof McCrone for that probationary year!

Make sure you attend the recruitment fairs (if there are any at this time of year?) but also target loads of individual schools with a healthy CV and cover letter that at least has the name of the HT or Director at the top!

Good luck! [​IMG] Feel free to PM if you have any more Qs...

3. rachel_g41

rachel_g41 Occasional commenter

I am also scottish trained, I've have worked with several other scottish trained teachers in international schools and have never found it a problem.
    As the previous reply says, experience may be a bigger issue depending on which schools you choose to apply to.
    One big advantage that Scottish teachers have is they can resign on one month's notice, whereas most of those based in England have to give far more notice. So, after the May 31st deadline passes, those teachers currently employed in England are too late to resign for Sept starts.
    One more thing, and sorry if I'm stating the insultingly obvious, but as an English teacher I would stress experience of teaching the Higher, because in England it's normal to do GCSEs in both language and literature, which I understand isn't the case in Scotland (my GCSEs in Lang and Lit counted for a Higher in English when i applied to do my PGCE in Scotland.
    Good luck.

4. harrypatch, you have mail

5. the hippo

the hippo Established commenter Community helper

harrypatch, you have some more mail.