1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Probationary Year - Advice on the Preference Waiver Placement?

Discussion in 'Scotland - Primary' started by Novice5, Dec 13, 2015.

1. Novice5

Novice5 New commenter

Hello,
    I'm on my PDGE course at the moment (I live in Edinburgh) and the current intake has only 2 more months to decide on what to choose and where to go for their probationary year - do they choose up to 5 LAs or take the £6000 and go for the Preference Waiver option (where you will be placed in any local authority in Scotland)?

The GTCS came to uni where they gave us a talk and told us that we're most likely to be placed in any of the "maritime authorities" (ie those that have a coastline) - but realistically I've heard that chances are it'll be Moray or rural Aberdeenshire.

Who has gone for the Preference Waiver option? What are your thoughts? Regret it or love the adventure? Is it hard to get back into Edinburgh (or Glasgow or an urban school ) if youve had your probationary year elsewhere, especially in a rural setting? Have those who didn't take the option now wishing they had? Its a big decision and I'm keen to get as many perspectives on this as possible.

Thanks for any help! :)

2. sir2006

sir2006 New commenter

I can't comment on the waiver side of things but I do know of a fair few ambitious people who have climbed the ladder quickly in more rural settings...if that matters to you.

Novice5 likes this.