1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Probationary period?

Discussion in 'Independent' started by caterpillartobutterfly, Oct 23, 2015.

1. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

I've read my contract and there is a probationary period of 6 months specified.
    It's not something I've experienced in state schools, so just wondered if this is usual in the independent sector.

2. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

This is an FAQ on this forum! Just to save you having to use the TES search, the answer is yes - a probationary period of a term or two is normal.

3. caterpillartobutterfly

Oooops, I did scan the first page, but no further.
    Sorry.
    And thank you.

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

And don't be concerned about it either, @caterpillartobutterfly .

You may not have realised, but in every job, in and out of education, the first two years are, to a certain extent, a probationary period, since you can be dismissed very easily during this time.

And for no fault of yours.

It's only after 2 years that a permanent post actually becomes permanent.

If you've just been appointed for next term, then read this general advice:

Got a job offer? What to do next!

And if you started in September and have just got your contract (it's not late - they have two months to give it to you When should you get your contract? ), then this may be right for you.

;)

Get yourself organised

Best wishes

5. caterpillartobutterfly

Don't tell me I can be dismissed very easily through no fault of my own! I don't want to know that! :eek:
    No I'm not at all naive, just moving on happily. Someone told me 'Success and happiness are the best revenge.

It may be a bit late for the 'what to do next' advice, because I think/hope I may have already done it! :rolleyes: Thank you anyway. (Ok I've read it and don't have the pretty files, more a folder on my laptop, but pretty much sorted. Even in a union!)
    My 20th year of teaching and I'm still ridiculously excited about a new classteacher post. (I will grow up one day and take on responsibilities and climb the ladder and all that...well maybe, for now I'm having too much fun teaching.)

Last edited: Oct 24, 2015
    sabrinakat likes this.
  6. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Not just you. Anybody and everybody!

What i was trying to do was console you and say that you needn't worry.:)

Didn't work, did it? :D

But I am glad that you are well organised and enjoying teaching. Me too!

(For both).

Best wishes

7. bob79

bob79 Occasional commenter

I too have just started in the private sector and I am currently in my 6 month probationary period. I signed a sort of contract before starting but I just wondered what the general grounds for dismissal would be.

8. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Dismissal sounds terrible doesn't it? But it's just the legal term for when the employer terminates your contract, and it may not be your fault.

For example, the school burns down. You would be dismissed if there is no school left. Even if you weren't the arsonist.

Or if nobody elects to do your subject next year. Or on a maternity contract, if the mother to be loses her baby, sadly, and decides to come straight back to work to keep herself occupied.

Here are more details.

https://www.gov.uk/dismissal/reasons-you-can-be-dismissed

Just try and avoid Misconduct by reading staff handbook and generally behaving morally, and avoid Capability by carrying out your duties to a high standard.

It is very rare for the 6 month probation period to be invoked, so you shouldn't worry.

Best eishes

9. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Wishes! Best wishes.

10. caterpillartobutterfly

So are we saying that I can just ignore the entire thing?
    If I be good and work effectively, no one will actually remember I started 6 months previously and so no mention of it ever?

11. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

12. caterpillartobutterfly

Excellent. Thank you.

13. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

(The missing Thumbs Up emoticon )

14. bob79

bob79 Occasional commenter

Thank you (and sorry for hijacking this thread), I have an unblemished work record, I suppose being new just makes you feel strange and unsettled!