1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Probation year outside UK

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by laurajane1991, Oct 18, 2015.

  1. laurajane1991

    laurajane1991 New commenter

    I wonder if anyone could advise me. I am currently undertaking a PGDE (primary) in Scotland. I am very keen to begin working abroad. I am aware I need to be very careful about where I go so that I can meet probation year requirements and realise that the flexi route will take me much longer.
    Has anyone been in this position, where is advisable to go? If I look at International schools which are English speaking, how will I know if these are suitable to meet GTCS requirements?
    How long does it generally take? Is it difficult to get probation year posts abroad?
    All information/advice would be much appreciated!
    Thank you
  2. Flere-Imsaho

    Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

    I don't think you will get much advice about the Scottish system here. I would phone the GTCS for real advice.
    My opinion is that you would actually be quicker doing probation in Scotland. You will find it hard to get work abroad when you are not fully qualified and the schools/countries which might accept you are less likely to be supportive in completing the requirements for the GTCS. In addition, even if you get immediate and continuous work, you are looking at about two school years before you are qualified. Why not just take your GUARANTEED place in Scotland and by Spring you will be able to apply for international jobs knowing you will be fully qualified by the start date?
    sabrinakat likes this.
  3. Sileas

    Sileas New commenter

    I trained and have been teaching in Scotland for eight years and I can tell you that it's definitely not advisable to do what you suggest. There are so few jobs in Scotland at the moment and schools generally don't look favourably on anybody who has been out of the system for too long. If you leave before you're even GTCS registered, you'll find it really, really difficult to come back. I doubt that you'll be able to complete your registration in another system anyway. This may be wrong but I think I heard somewhere that teachers coming from England have to have taught an extra couple of months in Scotland before they have the same status as Scottish teachers. As the poster says above, it's better to complete your registration then seek international work.
  4. the hippo

    the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

    If you are worried about what will happen back in Bonny Scotland after you have returned from your foreign adventures, laurajane1991, then maybe the sensible thing to do would be to stay in Scotland. Or stay overseas.

    As for me, one of the main attractions of teaching in international schools is that you do not have to worry too much about all of the nonsense that is happening in Education in the UK.
  5. Wotton

    Wotton Lead commenter

    I'm not sure if the GTCS will accept a year abroad towards your probation.
  6. davidbowiefan

    davidbowiefan Established commenter

    They do accept a year abroad, or at least they used to. You need to confirm this with the GTCS and ask the school before you start if they are willing to complete the interim and final reports. As long as you're teaching in English and using a recognised syllabus such as the English National Curriculum, the IB or IGCSE the school should be acceptable.

    There is no such thing as a probation year post abroad. You won't get the training, reduced timetable or mentoring that you will be entitled to in Scotland and as you don't even have to apply for probation jobs it has to be asked why you wouldn't want to take up your place. You might see job ads which state that NQTs are welcome - that's the rUK equivalent. But the hippo and others will tell you that these might not be schools you want to teach in. Ask yourself why they're willing to take somebody straight off a PGDE. Also ask yourself how you would cope with a new country, no friends or family, finding accommodation and adjusting to new curricula without a mentor or additional support. An international school can be a very different environment from the UK state system.

    There have been regular posts about whether to do the NQT year abroad for as long as I've been on this forum. Do a search and you will find them but the answer from experienced teachers is always "no". If you do go ahead, avoid an agency which will help you to teach around the world as they will knowingly place you in a hellhole.

    Message me if you would like any further information but I'd strongly advise you to take up your probation place.
  7. davidbowiefan

    davidbowiefan Established commenter

    Isn't it great when people say thank you...
  8. the hippo

    the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

    Thank you!
  9. davidbowiefan

    davidbowiefan Established commenter

Share This Page