1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Probation Year Allocation

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by siennagray, Apr 22, 2019.

1. siennagray

siennagray New commenter

Hello,

When did you find out where you were being offered probation at the of your PGDE/PGCE? I think the allocations are given at the end off May, but I would like to know other's experiences and find out when you all found out where your local authority would be/

Thanks

2. celago22

celago22 Occasional commenter

What do you mean? You have to apply for an NQT job!

3. siennagray

siennagray New commenter

No I don't, at the end of my PGDE GTCS will offer me a year's probation somewhere in the 5 local authorities that I selected on my GTCS profile last year. I'm asking when people received theirs if they were also on the teacher induction scheme to better understand if I will be waiting until June, or if I might find out during my final placement in May.

4. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

well, its a long time since I've heard of this sort of allocation of teachers in England. So you will be going to a local authority school? What areas did you choose?

In the past you would apply to a local authority, then get allocated within the authority, but I'm going back several decades now, when local authorities each had a range of schools under their control, rather than just the odd one or two they have now.

Are you in Scotland?

If so, repost this in the Scottish forum, as the system is very different

siennagray likes this.
  5. PersianCatLady

PersianCatLady New commenter

I wish the system in England worked like this.

6. alendra

alendra New commenter

From what I remember of last year, PGDE students found out before the end of May which authority they'd been assigned to, so were still on placement. In my authority (Aberdeenshire), they were then told fairly quickly which school they were allocated. Other authorities may take longer.

Certainly by the middle of June, we knew how many probationers we were getting, and who they were. In secondary, that's useful so that the timetable can be adjusted for August, even if timetable change is in June.

siennagray likes this.