1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Probation periods in international schools

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by primaryteacher01, May 18, 2017.

1. primaryteacher01

primaryteacher01 New commenter

Hi all,

Wondering what the probation period would normally be for teachers at an International school based on your experiences?

I'm used to being given one - two academic terms on probation in the UK but have been told 11 months at an international school. Should I be concerned about this?

Thank you!

2. truth_seeker12

truth_seeker12 Occasional commenter

Its different for every School regardless of Country.

11 months seems strange unless the contract is for 5 years or something. Be concerned as it means that they are covering themselves in case they want to get rid of you at the end of the first year on a 3-4 year contract.

3. miketribe

miketribe Established commenter

One month in Spain.

4. truth_seeker12

Three months in most schools I know of in Spain.

5. miketribe

miketribe Established commenter

truthseeker is correct. It's THREE months for teachers and assistants and one month for office staff. Sorry about the error...

Last edited: May 18, 2017
  6. v_gurl_6

v_gurl_6 New commenter

The school I'm moving to in Qatar is 3 months probation.

7. SecondPlace

SecondPlace Occasional commenter

3 months is normal. But of course it varies from school to school, even within the same country.

8. lottee1000

lottee1000 Occasional commenter

3 months everywhere ive been.
    I'd be worried about an 11 month probationary period as it means they could get rid of you during the summer holidays, with very little chance of you then getting a job for the new academic year.
    They do work both ways though, so it does mean you can leave any time in your first year without losing out, if it all goes badly.

Teachallover likes this.
  9. suem75

suem75 Occasional commenter

I've had 3 months in the past. None mentioned in the contract I've signed for this August.

11 months does sound unusual. Like they (the school) could get the school year done then say goodbye without having to give much of a reason. But I'm very cynical and might be looking at it the wrong way. ;)

10. SecondPlace

SecondPlace Occasional commenter

@primaryteacher01 - Assume good intentions and kindly point out that they have put 11 instead of 1....

Stillstayingjohnson likes this.
  11. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

Three is typical but it varies widely.

12. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

Eleven is odd.

13. rosiecg

rosiecg Occasional commenter

No probation period at my current school.

14. Beagles111

Beagles111 New commenter

From August to December.

15. Interista

Interista New commenter

The two I've worked in have both been 3 months as I believe is my next school.

16. truth_seeker12

Also means that they are within their right to sack you on the very last day!

This happens in international schools. I read a post about a school in Doha with similar name to a news network in the country. They sacked 4 teachers on the last day with one days notice to leave the country. You can find the info from teachers who worked in such school or specifically that school by searching the name on a website that Advises you on Trips. Sounds crazy but I have seen it in a school I have worked in.

17. BG2017

BG2017 New commenter

Mine is for 3 months. Either party can terminate with no penalty.

18. sara2323

sara2323 New commenter

Most schools I am aware of ask for one term probation period, which I think is fair and comparable to UK.