1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Probation fail

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by SMurray15, Sep 23, 2017.

1. SMurray15

SMurray15 New commenter

I started a new role as HOD last year in a department that was on its knees, no SOW, no assessment strategy, no intervention strategy etc etc.
    I managed to pick the department up and developed a motivated, organised team.
    I was told that SLT was extending my probation in the summer and was given targets.
    I completed these and then goal posts suddenly changed in my final probation meeting and I was told that I was to have a dismissal meeting.
    No idea on the grounds and I have certainly not had any support over the past year to develop any weaknesses.
    Apparently schools can do whatever they like over the first 2 years and can dismiss with no grounds.
    Does anyone have any advice/similar experience?

2. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Do you mean dismissal from school or from thr HoD role? Also are you in the UK as 'probation' is a term we have not used for a long timee

install likes this.
  3. SMurray15

SMurray15 New commenter

Yes in theUK and probation is used at my academy. Could be either dismissal from role or school which would be decided at my hearing. Currently been given the option to go in and teach or not which is wired!

4. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

Until an employee has two years' continuous service, an employer can dismiss for pretty much any reason they like, unless it's an automatically unfair reason e.g discrimination.

pepper5 likes this.
  5. blazer

blazer Star commenter

So it looks (from what we have heard) that the school got someone in to sort out a problem and now it is sorted just wants rid!

I think if it was me a lot of files would 'disappear' just before I left.

6. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Isn't it dreadful but that thought occurred to me? :eek: Unfortunately too many of us have seen similar happen to so many that we're becoming so sceptical.:(

7. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Same thought from me too.

You are possibly expensive, but can do what needed doing.
    They appointed you to get things in order and now want someone cheaper.

OR you don't work in the way they would like and so want rid.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  8. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Lead commenter

Sorry to hear about that. Did they give the reason why they extended the probation? Usually the conditions to do this are usually limited and should be in your initial contract so it's possible in doing so they may have breached your contract. Other than that it doesn't look great I'm afraid.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  9. install

install Star commenter

See Union asap :cool:

Lara mfl 05 likes this.