1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Probation being used against me

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Pickledwalnut, Nov 19, 2017.

1. Pickledwalnut

Pickledwalnut New commenter

So my college has a probationary period for new staff based on 3 observations all of which I passed last academic year. I was told that even though I had passed this that my probation would be extended for another half a term due to issues surrounding “professionalism” I accepted this just to get it over with.
    Now it’s being extended again with the issues being raised being totally ludacris e.g shouting at a student (I actually didn’t shout at them just asked them why they felt it was appropriate to turn up 20 mins late to a lesson during ofsted on

2. Pickledwalnut

Pickledwalnut New commenter

Sorry seem to have posted this twice

3. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

I don't knowthe rules relating to probation but a think a college could have three reasons for prolonging a probation.

The first is, of course, that there are genuine doubts about a teacher's suitablilty.
    The second is that / if you are cheaper as a probationer and they would rather replace you with a new one than pay you more if you pass.
    The third is that they don't know what their staffing requirements are for next year and need the option of getting rid of you easily an without fuss.

4. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Well, what does college policy have to say about extensions to probationary period?

You did say "issues" in the plural. One of these is, in your view, not correct (but bear in mind that "shouting" is very much a matter of interpretation). So you should challenge it if you think that's wrong.

But, without betraying your identity by giving too much information, there are other matters. What support have you been given? What advice? You do need to know exactly what the problems are so that you can address them.

Obviously it's perfectly possible to teach 3 good lessons but leave something to be desired in other areas. College couldn't ignore poor relationships with the wider student population or matters such as unpunctuality or unauthorised Facebook posting or a number of other things.

I have no idea what these issues may be but I am assuming the college is within its rights to extend your probation. Check the policy. Talk to your line manager(s).