1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

probably the stupidest question ever! but really need help

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by cocoabrown, Nov 20, 2011.

1. My worry is the HT is a master at covering her back. So I'm finding it difficult to believe this was a mistake. I have seriously wracked my brains to think of what it could be. Will see what the union has to say tomorrow, but I don't hold out much hope and will definitely take it higher if unsatisfied. Feel so sick and have been having panic attacks. All I want is to move on and put this sorry episode behind me but it keeps following me.

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Ok, let's look at this very worrying situation for you. These are pretty standard questions nowadays, by the way.
    Have you ever had a letter saying that you are being given an oral warning, or a written warning, or a final written warning?
    If so, dig it out and see how long it lasts for - normally 6 months for oral and 12 months for the others.
    Are you still within that period?
    If not, no, you are not subject to a disciplinary procedure where the sanction is still current.
    This one is trickier.
    Has anyone made any accusations against you involving, basically, inappropriate behaviour with children or young people?
    If so, then (a) even if the disciplinary sanction has expired (i.e. the 6 or 12 month period above), or (b) even if it was decided that the accusation was just plain wrong, or (c) even if it was decided that it was so minor that no sanction (i.e. warning as above) was actually given, then this bit has to be ticked.
    But the Head should certainly have explained whether it was (a) or (b) or (c) on the reference form.
    I hope that with this explanation, you can rest easier now, because none of the above apply to you.
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars

3. Dear Theo, Thank you so much for your response. I have never had a letter saying that I am being given an oral warning, or a written warning, or a final written warning; neither within not before the last six months.

The strange thing is the following question - Has there been any allegations or concerns expressed about the candidate during his or her employment that relate to the safety and welfare of children and young people? She has answered 'No'

Again Thank you, the world has stopped spinning finally and feel like maybe my career hasn't suddenly been ripped away.

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Excellent!
    But you still need to talk to your union about an inaccurate reference possibly having been sent.
    Enjoy the Sunday afternoon!
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars

5. I will be contacting the union in the morning. The reference has already been sent as I was CC'd in.

I will now have a much more enjoyable afternoon thanks to you.

I hope you are having a lovely Sunday too.

Kind Regards