1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Probably best to order your small turkey now

Discussion in 'Personal' started by littlejackhorner, Sep 25, 2020.

1. littlejackhorner

littlejackhorner Senior commenter

One of the consequences of the rule of 6 over Christmas is that it could be a real waste to buy a large turkey this year. Does that mean we are going to see a shortage of small- medium sized turkeys with turkey farmers calling for government help in December? I think I will just get a chicken instead. It tastes better than turkey anyway.

smoothnewt likes this.
  2. modelmaker

modelmaker Star commenter

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-54123877

Some turkey farmers are concerned there may be an over-supply of birds this Christmas with social gatherings potentially much smaller than usual.

With UK coronavirus infections rising at present, potential restrictions on meeting up are unclear.

But thousands more turkey chicks, known as "poults", are being reared for Christmas meals.

And some producers are betting on travel restrictions keeping more people at home over the festive period.

One south Wales farm, which normally rears 70,000 turkeys a year, told Radio 4's Farming Today it has already cut its numbers by 20%.

Nick Davis from Usk Vale Poultry is concerned the birds will be too big for the numbers at the dinner table.

The turkeys were ordered in the spring when the outlook for a "normal" Christmas seemed clearer.

He said: "In May, when we canvassed our main core of customers, who are retail butchers, they were having a boom time.

"[They] were saying nothing is going to change, because everything's buoyant, and we want the same numbers as last year. But that was easy for them to say."

"We have to decide what size people want and you can't even tell me today what size that might be."

He said the farm has "a bit of flexibility".

"We can play around with rations a bit, and we can process [slaughter them] a week or 10 days earlier, so we can reduce the size to a certain extent, but not by massive percentages".

3. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

Surely they'll need more turkeys if fewer households will be combining for Christmas? More smaller ones, that is.

smoothnewt likes this.
  4. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

@Doitforfree That's why this thread is called
    " Probably best to ....................."
    :rolleyes:

littlejackhorner likes this.
  5. modelmaker

It isn't beyond the bounds of possibility that supermarkets will be selling half and quarter turkeys this year.

smoothnewt and littlejackhorner like this.
  6. colpee

colpee Star commenter

Over-rated meat anyway. The other year our turkey, bought from a local farm, was off on Christmas morning. We defrosted some chicken thighs instead, which made no difference whatsoever to the enjoyment of Christmas dinner, which has so many tasty components. I doubt even a meatless christmas day would make any real difference.

modelmaker and littlejackhorner like this.
  7. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

Buy a big one cheap, and eat Turkey every day until New Year...;)

8. littlejackhorner

littlejackhorner Senior commenter

No thanks!

9. modelmaker

I'm inclined to agree, but it's traditional, which Christmas tends to be mostly about. I don't exactly know how turkey came to be the traditional Christmas roast, but the fact that pound for pound, it's better value than other meat and at a time of year when there's lots of other stuff to spend money on, whilst feeding larger numbers than usual, a turkey was probably seen as an affordable choice compared with alternatives.

It's one of those things that nobody discusses, partly as it might imply the host might be a cheapskate or pauper living beyond their means by entertaining more people than they ought. After all, who is going to say it will be nice to see you at Christmas, but we can't run to you bringing your kids if we decide to have beef?

10. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

More leftovers for turkey pie. Suits me!

11. emerald52

emerald52 Star commenter

I often buy turkey leg as I love the dark meat and they are very cheap. Christmas will be different this year.

Doitforfree likes this.
  12. Doitforfree

I love turkey. You just have to cook it right. Following on from this thread we discussed over tea what to do about Christmas and I've decided that we won't slaughter the bantam, but I'll get a frozen goose, and if by some amazing chance we can go to my sister's as usual, we'll eat the goose another day. My lovely neighbour gave me her old freezer so now I have enough room to accommodate said goose in spite of the year's supply of frozen fruit in my other freezer.

Sally006 likes this.
  13. Doitforfree

Yeh but that farmer said he'd reduced his flock by 20% which makes no sense. He should get more birds and feed them less so they come out small.

14. Newidentity

Newidentity Occasional commenter

Lol, I'm a vegetarian, so whatever happens I think I will be able to meet all my Christmas turkey needs!

15. colpee

colpee Star commenter

Christmas mince pies on sale in Morrisons last night:confused:

16. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

Couldn't care less if I never eat turkey again but as Hostess I have to meet expectations. To which end, I got one of the few frozen turkey crowns left at Aldi, and a punnet of cranberries from the greengrocer (only 2 left).
    I confidently expect M&S to contact me as they do every year with a "order all yr Xmas stuff here and get ?% off and a bottle of Prosecco free". I've not yet taken them up on it but this year would be a dead cert.

17. hhhh

hhhh Star commenter

Why not longer? Freeze it!