1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Probability Games to help less able understand

Discussion in 'Primary' started by eggles, Feb 17, 2012.

1. Can anyone suggest a probability game or activity that would help the less able children in my year 6 class further develop their understanding of probability?

2. Joi

Joi New commenter

http://www.subtangent.com/maths/higher-lower.php

3. Or just use playing cards!!!

4. There is a horse racing game in Numeracy On Display which works really well - there are twelve tracks labelled 1-12. The children roll two dice and move the horse with the total forward one space (the number one never moves, of course and 6 or 7 nearly always win). I found this generated a lot of discussion and used all of the vocab that Y5 need.

5. We also play this. But use 'rockets' instead of horses! The children do sometimes still find it difficult to explain why some rockets are more likely to win though.

6. McCahey

McCahey New commenter

I give each child a sealed envelope containing a photocopied fiver. However, one envelope has a million pound note. We discuss the probability of any individual having the million. As the envelopes are opened one at time, we discuss how the odds/ probability of having the million change. This can be recorded in different ways according to their ability. Did this as part of observed lesson. head & maths coordinator loved it.

7. Brill idea... pinching it.
    Ta x

8. Me too. Thank you for all the ideas, used the card idea and 'pig' on Monday. Worked really well. Thanks

9. It's been interesting reading the ideas for teaching an understanding of probability but could you explain the game 'Pig' to me, please, as I've nerve heard of it! Thanks