1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Prob parent

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by nuander, Nov 30, 2015.

1. nuander

nuander New commenter

Had a parent turn up with a child, after child was not in school for 2 months ( because she doesn't want him to come to our school) but is a named school on the EHC plan demanding he comes back today. No reintegration no nothing! I said no and suggested a meeting the following day - any advice ? Right / wrong ?

2. nomad

nomad Star commenter

A risky strategy, I feel.

Sounds like the type of parent who will now claim that you are denying their child an education.

Get the child back into school pronto.

3. David Getling

David Getling Lead commenter

Sounds like a rubbish parent whose badly brought up child will cause lots of problems.You made the right call. I'd tell the parent that if they keep insisting that their offspring is still a pupil then she is guilty of allowing him to truant for 2 months, which you will bring to the attention of the authorities. Of course, when you tell her this you will remind her that parents of truants have faced hefty fines, and even imprisonment in some cases.
    [This comment/section has been removed for breaching our Community Guidelines/Terms and conditions]

4. mrkeys

mrkeys Occasional commenter

5. SchoolBoyError

SchoolBoyError Occasional commenter

I think you were perfectly correct not to allow the child to return and would explain, if ever challenged, that you needed to ensure necessary systems were in place to allow the child to make a smooth transition back into full time education.

My biggest concern would be about the absence. Have you flagged this with the local authority? If they've missed two months this year their attendance must be at 30 something percent?

6. David Getling

David Getling Lead commenter

I'm not a bleeding heart liberal either.

7. Skychaserhigh

Skychaserhigh New commenter

I think I would have postponed for a day too, gives you time to gather absence data and consult with Schools admin, where has this child been for 2 months? Did the parent contact you every day to explain the absence?
    The delay be easily explained as to ensuring that the support necessary is in place, you can not be expected to have whatever strategies are in place on the EHCP on hold for two months on the off chance that the child returns.
    Good luck.

P.S. you don't have to be a 'bleeding heart liberal' for finding the suggestion of shooting people to be rather distasteful!

8. nuander

nuander New commenter

Did all the calling - parent elected to home tutor - more probs - notified LA - school liaison officer ( ewo) , exclusions officer and Sen office . Wrote to parents on at least three occasions did all I could . Yes attendance rates for he whole school fall because of one parent - irritating waste of time all round. Methinks!

9. mystery10

mystery10 Occasional commenter

We can't know. If this parent has in some way reached the end of their tether with the child at home it might be best for the child that you have him or her, "ready or not."

And even as a head you can never know what might be leading to this parent's apparently wonky decisions.

If the child was home tutored for two months it would have been de-registered from your school and not affect your attendance data?