1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Pro - rata pay... So confused!

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by freckles88, Jun 29, 2011.

1. I have applied for a ta job and am trying to work out what my monthly take home pay would be. The job is advertised as 13-15k pro rata. I know that pro rata is how much pay you would earn if you worked full time, and the job is only for 27 hours per week so I would have to divide it accordingly, but how is this annual wage worked out?? TA's only work for 38 weeks of the year after holidays so is this how much you would get paid working full time for 38 weeks? Or how much you would be paid for 52 weeks? And in schools full time is usually classed at 32.5 hours per week whereas all other jobs full time is 40 hours per week...

So would the job be 13-15k for 40 hours a wekk 52 weeks a year or a wage of 13-15k for 32.5 hours per week for 38 weeks? So confused! Wish they would just be upfront and put the actual wage on the job advert!

2. picsgirl

picsgirl New commenter

Sorry, but it really does vary from council to council - the only way to find out for sure is contacting the LEA wages dept.
    Where did you see the job advertised? Some adverts show both the pro rata & actual wages - if you could find one of these adverts from the same LEA then you should be able to work it out from there,

3. NQT1986

NQT1986 Occasional commenter

Ring them and find out.

I would imagine that it's probably along the lines of £13k divided by 52, multiplied by 39 (or 44 if you get holiday pay) then divide that by 37.5 (full time) multiplied by 27. Maybe £7-9k a year or £600 a month?