1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Pro rata pay... so confused!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by freckles88, Jun 29, 2011.

1. I have applied for a ta job and am trying to work out what my monthly take home pay would be. The job is advertised as 13-15k pro rata. I know that pro rata is how much pay you would earn if you worked full time, and the job is only for 27 hours per week so I would have to divide it accordingly, but how is this annual wage worked out?? TA's only work for 38 weeks of the year after holidays so is this how much you would get paid working full time for 38 weeks? Or how much you would be paid for 52 weeks? And in schools full time is usually classed at 32.5 hours per week whereas all other jobs full time is 40 hours per week...

So would the job be 13-15k for 40 hours a wekk 52 weeks a year or a wage of 13-15k for 32.5 hours per week for 38 weeks? So confused! Wish they would just be upfront and put the actual wage on the job advert!

2. It is pro-rata of the hours that the full time job would do

3. My understanding is you work out the percentage of the total figure you will be getting - eg 60% of £13K and then divide the result by twelve - assuming that you will receive a payment once a month. Our support staff are paid term time plus a week and this figure is divided by twelve so that they take pay home during the hols - esp the summer.

4. 576

576 Occasional commenter

Pro Rata refers to the fact that TAs are paid when they work.
    eg. Say it said 12,000
    September when there are no school holidays you'd get 1000 (1/12)
    December - because part of the month is school holidays you'd get say 750 (3/4 of 1/12)
    August you'd get nothing.

I think.... but ring them up & ask!!!

5. This may be the case in some schools/LAs but not all

As others have said

An example = TA usually works 35 hours a week and you are doing 28 then 28/35 = 0.8 = 80%

80% of £13k = £10,400

That would be your salary

Each month 10400/12 = 870 (before tax etc

6. Tried to edit with your numbers of 28/32.5

Comes to £900 before tax etc

7. You need to know how many hours are considered full time and what the full time pay is.
    How many hours you will be working.
    How many weeks in the year you will be working.
    You then:
    Divide the full time salary by 52.
    Divide that answer by the number of full time hours. Thus you have an hourly rate.
    Multiply that rate by the number of hours you will be working a week (thus you have your weekly rate).
    Multiply this by the number of weeks you will be working in the year (52 or whatever you will be working)
    Divide this by 12 (if you will be paid each month for 12 months) or by the number of months you will be paid.
    Then you have your monthly salary.
    Having said all that, teaching probably does it completely differently to the rest of the world ....[​IMG]
    But that is how it is normally worked out.