1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Pro - choice and pro - life video clips

Discussion in 'Religious Education' started by sparkly_duck, Aug 16, 2011.

1. I'm currently resourcing a scheme of work for AQA spec B: Religion and Life issues / Matters of life (abortion). I want to use video clips to get points of view across, but have hit a bit of a brick wall. I have got some excellent clips from True Tube, but they are more suitable for our higher ability students.
    A quick search on youtube led me to many, many clips of angry Americans, and I think they're a bit preachy and, well, angry.
    Does anybody know of either another good website to get clips for RE lessons, or some non - preachy pro - choice and pro-life video clips on youtube. The actual clips don't need to show both sides of the argument.
    Thanks for any help in advance!

2. I'm currently resourcing a scheme of work for AQA spec B: Religion and Life issues / Matters of life (abortion). I want to use video clips to get points of view across, but have hit a bit of a brick wall. I have got some excellent clips from True Tube, but they are more suitable for our higher ability students.
    A quick search on youtube led me to many, many clips of angry Americans, and I think they're a bit preachy and, well, angry.
    Does anybody know of either another good website to get clips for RE lessons, or some non - preachy pro - choice and pro-life video clips on youtube. The actual clips don't need to show both sides of the argument.
    Thanks for any help in advance!

3. cinderellyfaerie

cinderellyfaerie New commenter

Have you tried 'you tube'?

x

4. Yes:
    But all the ones I have managed to find are not suitable to show years 9 and 10.

5. matryoshkadoll

matryoshkadoll Occasional commenter

There is a clip by 06Clared on youtube who had put together her own video using a variety of clips which covers abortion, pro choice and pro life. She studied the edexcel board and includes important legal information as well as clearly defined reasons as this was made for her study purposes.

Here is the link:

http://www.youtube.com/user/06clared#p/u/92/O8q8asLiIus

Hope it is useful.

xx

6. Here's a more updated version to the video posted above - it's for Edexcel unit 3 as opposed to unit C, so it suits the new specification a bit better:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AK5RXdnlB5c

Hope you can find it useful

7. Youthhealthtalk

Youthhealthtalk New commenter

Hi sparkly_duck, I've just been trying to figure out how the resources we have relate to the curriculum and I'm happy to say that we have some videos of young people discussing their views of abortion. Most of them are pro-choice but I hope they help you https://www.tes.co.uk/teaching-resource/Videos-Young-people-s-views-on-Abortion-6109584/
    We also have some videos about euthanisa on our other site, I don't know if they would be of use to you?
    All the best,
    Jo - from Youthhealthtalk.

8. I find truetube to be very helpful - I know they have a very sensitive film clip about back street abortions.

9. matryoshkadoll

I agree with True Tube as well. They do cover pro life and pro choice as well.

10. Thanks for all the ideas guys.
    I have got a couple of clips from True Tube, but as I said in my original post, they are not really suitable for the majority of our students because the language used will go straight over their heads.
    I've also been hunting around youtube, but have found a lot of the clips to be very preachy, which is not the angle I want to go down with the students.
    Again, thank you for all your suggestions.

11. matryoshkadoll

What about something a bit more down to earth like bbc class clips

http://www.bbc.co.uk/learningzone/clips/is-abortion-ever-necessary/5929.html

There is a suggested idea for this clip which is:

Ask students to list the points made in the clip on small cards. Ask them to classify these as 'agree', 'disagree' and 'not sure'. Use two blank cards to write their own personal viewpoints. Explain their choices and points to each other and work out if there is a class view.

Just an idea...

12. It's true that most of the videos on YouTube are completely inappropriate! We worked with a group of young people to produce this short film on the facts about abortion ( http://www.truetube.co.uk/ethics-and-religion/moral-decisions/abortion-the-facts) but you'll likely have seen that on TrueTube already. We also produce a resource called 'Unexpecting' looking at abortion and unplanned pregnancy more generally: http://www.efc.org.uk/professionals/resources.html
    In our school presentations we sometimes use clips from the US documentary 'Speak out: I had an abortion' but I'm not sure there are clips of this online. Do contact us for help and advice on lesson planning more generally!

13. Have you had a look on wingclips?

14. Oooo... thanks
    matryoshkadoll I didn't think to look at Class Clips! I use it for 6 world religions stuff, but didn't think to look for ethics stuff.
    Durc09... what on earth is wingclips?!?!? I've never heard of it!
    And edsomthing (can't remember the name!)... I'm using some of your clips already! But have found them to be more suitable for higher ability students (a lot of our students are low ability, low engagement and will be turned off by anything that involves words of more than one syllable. And yes, that's GCSE classes!)

15. grandelf

grandelf New commenter

the TV documentary/show 'dear nobody' is a good discussion pointer for this.

16. If you google wingclips it should come up its an american site used for mainly preaching and homilies but they have loads of films clips on there that they divide into topics suitable for my mixed ability group.