1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Prizes/Rewards for silver and gold?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by AJ1510, Feb 19, 2017.

1. AJ1510

AJ1510 New commenter

Hello everyone,

I was just looking for some suggestions/ideas on what I could offer my class when they hit silver and gold on their behaviour chart.

I created a behaviour chart based on our school behaviour system as a means of motivation for my year 5 class. I have told them that if they earn silver (90-99 points) then they get a reward and if they hit gold (100 points) then they get a big reward! This is done every half term.

They've hit silver before at Xmas and were rewarded with extra treats, games, etc.

As a student, I'm currently on my key stage swap placement, but return to my base school within a weeks time however my course mate who is currently in my base class informed me they achieved silver before the half term and we are discussing types of rewards.

I was thinking of keeping it along the lines of silver = in school treat and gold = outside school treat i.e. a trip.

Any suggestions would be a big help as I don't want to offer 'movie afternoon' for every silver they get.

Thanks!

2. modgepodge

modgepodge Established commenter

I would be very wary of offering a school trip as a reward, particularly as a student teacher. Firstly, all trips have to be approved by governors, and have a purpose (learning based!) secondly they have to be risk assessed, which is a big hassle, and can't be done by a student; if I had a student and they arranged a trip I'd be peeved at having to do a risk assessment. Thirdly, who is going to pay for the trip/treat? Unless you're just popping to the park there's bound to be a cost involved.

It's great that you are so enthusiastic and have come up with an idea that motivates your class. However, in my experience such behaviour management schemes are school wide, and any individual class based schemes are minor tag ons. Has this scheme been approved by anyone higher up? I'm a year group leader and if I informed my head I was taking my class on a trip for good behaviour they would not be impressed. To be honest, even an afternoon off timetable for good behaviour would raise a few eyebrows (unless it was at the end of July!)

minnie me, Isobeleh and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  3. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Why not ask them ?

4. whitestag

whitestag Senior commenter

Have a list of things they could do for half an hour that don't cost anything and don't need a great deal of organising. A game of dodgeball, half an hour on the iPads/computers, half an hour with the board games or borrowed toys from reception/ks1.

I did this as a student and it was surprising how much they enjoyed borrowing the boxes of dinosaurs, cars and dolls from reception and just being given half an hour to play with them.

5. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

I do this as a treat at the end of term for my class. They love just free playing with toys.

I agree that you can't just take kids out of school for a treat, unless it is the very end of a term. An afternoon at the park, especially if there are fab climbing frames and so on, is perfectly possible. Will the class' teacher be ok with this? They have presumably agreed to the reward system?

A lesson for the future...plan and organise what the rewards will be before setting up the system. ;)

6. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Yes, plus normally you have to run things by the class teacher and stick to the School plicy.

7. caterpillartobutterfly

But isn't it lovely to see that some schools still allow staff to set up what works for their own classes and not have to do something less good because 'policy says so'.
    I'm all for a bit of individuality!

Consistency across the school should only mean consistently good...how it is achieved is up to the teacher.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  8. modgepodge

modgepodge Established commenter

I think it depends on the size of the school. I work in a 3-form entry school, with difficult behaviour. We HAVE to have consistency, otherwise the children see it as unfair. If one of the other year 5 classes is getting to go to the park for the afternoon - why aren't we? Why are class 3G getting sweets on a Friday for behaving all week and we aren't? How come the year 4s are having a little party to celebrate all doing their homework - we've done all ours too!

It's confusing for supply teachers/HLTAs who cover classes, if reward schemes are different in every class too.

I think in a small school, or one where behaviour is generally good, it's probably easier to set up individual things in individual classes. In a big school, or one with tough behaviour, consistency in rewards and sanctions is really important.

Lara mfl 05 and pcsmush like this.
  9. caterpillartobutterfly

I've only taught in reasonably easy in terms of behaviour schools, so can't speak for others. But in both large and small schools individuality works well.

When it comes to "How come they have X and we don't?" I just respond with "Because we have Y and they don't. I know which I'd prefer." Or "Because their class chose X as their reward and we were soooo much more imaginative and chose Y for ours."

But yes, in schools where behaviour is harder to police already, keeping everything the same might be a better option. I honestly don't know.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  10. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

Yes, it is important that such things are done consistently throughout the school. but...

Should you find yourself wanting to arrange a reward trip in future, check with your local chain restaurants - I have taken whole classes and reward/incentive winners from across the school's age range on pizza-making workshops before - They loved it. They get to learn about making their own food then sit down and have a nice meal.

A number of the big chains do this and it is free - They don't advertise it much, but if you check out their websites there is often a 'schools' tab/button with info...

11. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Lead commenter

I have used all of the above - they have always enjoyed an hour or so of free play with all of the construction toys you can muster (lego, etc), or board games. As termly behaviour rewards, I've also visited a couple of pizza chains which do free school visits, very successfully. I've also taken them to the supermarket chain which offers the 'Farm to Fork' trail - I was surprised how much they enjoyed that. They go round the store, into the storeroom and freezers and learn about where foods come from; they have a 'find a fruit from Spain' style game in the fruit and veg section, then finish with a doughnut from the bakery. Another place to try is your local bowling alley, if you have one - ours offers schools a game for £1 per child in the mornings. They see that as a real treat and everyone was happy to pay the pound.

Lara mfl 05 and Pomz like this.
  12. AJ1510

AJ1510 New commenter

Thanks for the replies everyone, I've taken each one into account and the suggestions and support is very much appreciated.

My school is OK with me organising trips and so is my class teacher, we're very much a team. I've already helped out with a science trip and I'm currently planning a trip to my old university as part of our 3D topic. The behaviour is very good at my school...the main reason for my chart was their noise level but they're just a very animated class it does help though! 2 silvers in the bag!

I completely agree with the whole 'it has to have educational purposes' but the trip would always be an end of term thing and the children know this. I love the pizza idea especially if it's offered to schools as free as my school is a low budget school so we do have some difficulties at times planning trips outside the usual paid for ones I.e. The Xmas pantomime trips.

All the in school ideas are great too and I'll definitely be adding them in for a vote!
    Thanks again everyone :D

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  13. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

If you ask nicely, they normally let the teacher make (and eat!) a pizza too!

Good luck & enjoy! :)