1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Prize box...

Discussion in 'Primary' started by TEACHER16, May 9, 2011.

1. TEACHER16

TEACHER16 New commenter

Do you have a prize box in your classroom? If so how can the children win a prize or how can they be in with a chance? What do you put in your prize box to ensure the children will be excited but also as cost effective as possible?

2. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Goodness me no!

I have a sweetie tin with jelly beans in (you get loads for your money in supermarket own brand packets). These are generally a whole class reward, but can be for winning quizzes or similar as well.

What would prizes be for? At party time or similar I do have little prizes from tesco or somewhere (tiny packs of mini pencils or rubbers or something) but that is all.

3. I have a prize box, the children get smiley faces (or raffle tickets) for being ready, completing good work etc... (really helpful to praise the children who are not always on task as they are eager for these and i can give them out for small achievments) we put them all in a box and at the end of the week pull a name out.
    It works for me now (final year student teacher) :D

4. Wilkinsons - gel pens about a quid for 20
    Asda party gifts - about 30 for a pound.
    Try poundland etc mine love getting things like smelly pens, propelling pencils, yo yos, etc
    They get it for allsorts!

No sweets it's a healthy school. Some chidlren are allergic to certain types of colourings, some to nuts and others not allowed gelatin as they are vegetarian!

5. Yes, I buy cheap things from places like the pound store, such as bouncy balls, bubbles, gel pens, highlighters, hair bands, etc. The children have to move five places on my reward chart then they can 'have a dip' in the box. They are always excited.

6. [​IMG] Hope you dont let the children use them in the playground they are highly dangerous!!
    Most schools ban them!!

7. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

Really? Really? Look I'm not saying I want loads of kids running around with bouncy balls but let's not get carried away.

8. Small enough to fit in the eye socket - with some force can severely damage the eye.
    Tennis balls etc are stopped by the cheek and eyebrow but those smaller balls can fit straight in!

9. TEACHER16

TEACHER16 New commenter

I want to start one but I wasnt sure what to buy for the boys really.

10. balloons are a big hit and dead cheap!

11. small children can choke on balloons and they are dangerous to wildlife if/when discarded

I have a small music box (wind up type) that children can play to 'announce' they have completed a great piece of work, always goes down well

12. Tell that to my colleague. She took a tennis ball in the eye due to an inaccurate throw by a pupil. It took a layer off her cornea. She was off sick til it healed, and has been left having to use cream to lubricate her eye on a twice daily basis as she now has some syndrome where her eyelids rub at the scar tissue and degrade the surface if it dries out. Ouch!
    Back to the issue at hand...I had a prize box and kept it full of novelty pencils and the like. Wilkinsons is useful for cheap stationery.