1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Private tutors (Qatar)

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by nlavrov, Jul 21, 2015.

1. Dear Forum members
    I moved to Qatar a couple of years ago. My son is enrolled in a good school and is midway through GCSEs but in September I feel he will need private tuition (English, Maths, Sciences). However, I am aware that many tutors here who claim to be qualified in the English system are not. Please, any advice will be greatly appreciated before I waste time and money!

2. serverservant

serverservant New commenter

Surely approach teachers within the school your son is in? When I worked in Doha I tutored plenty of students that were not in my own class ie taught by other dept member. if the school is good, surely its the best place to look?

3. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

If the school is so good, then why does your son need any extra tuition? Perhaps it would be wise to arrange a meeting with your son's teachers and ask them for their opinions on whether or not he really needs more tuition. If a parent of a child in my class were to suggest this, then I might well give the child some extra homework or even some extra tuition at breaktimes. However, I would strongly urge the parents not to hire a tutor if the child was making a good effort and pleasing progress.

On the other hand, I am just a primary teacher and I do not teach GCSEs, so maybe I do not know what I am talking about.

4. Thanks for the reply. I will take your advice and approach another teacher who may offer something a little different and be able to identify any weaknesses away from the classroom environment. I just hope the class teacher will not feel offended! If you worked in Doha you may even know a few willing tutors yourself. Thanks again.

5. pgrass

pgrass New commenter

Suppose in grade 5 a student had a really bad primary teacher who was rubbish at mathematics (this is quite common). That student may not be strong at some basic knowledge that was required for the next topic, which meant that he struggled in the topic, which meant he struggled in the next topic, which required knowledge of the previous topic, which meant he struggled in the next topic... By the time he got to grade 7 he was 6 months behind where he should be. This caused him to struggle in grade 7 meaning by the time he got to grade 8 he was even further behind.

When some Korean students, who go to cram school outside of regular school, joined the school he felt like a complete *** when he compared himself to them. His confidence dropped and he stopped believing he could succeed so he didn't even bother trying. He scraped through GCSEs with a C, which usually means an E at A-Level.

6. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Well, if the school employs some teachers who are "really bad", then maybe it is not such a good school.

7. pgrass

pgrass New commenter

All "good" and even "great" schools have bad teachers. I would argue the better the reputation of the school (reputation means many things to many different people, with teachers usually equating reputation with salary) then the greater the number of teachers there who have been there too long and are out of touch with best teaching practise. The best school that I have worked in with regards to the standard of teaching is a school in Dubai which many teachers used as a "stepping stone" to a "better" school (which again usually meant a higher paying school in a more desirable location in Europe or Asia). In such a school teachers need the best possible references for their next job so they go all out.

Anyway, as you said, you are a primary teacher and you don't know what you are talking about. Stick with making models from milk cartons and cereal boxes. A high-school student who isn't naturally gifted at mathematics will always benefit from more practise.