1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Private Tutoring

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by asgilroy, Aug 17, 2011.

1. Hi everyone,
    Thanks to people who have taken the time to answer my queries. I am in the middle of research for my own sole trader private tuition business. Two questions today

1. As a safety conscious teacher, what Health and Safety considerations are there for private tutoring?

2. The finances seem complicated. I am happy with yearly Self Assessment Tax returns, the unique system for Self employed N.I contributions is simple enough. However when you throw in VAT obligations and possibly Business tax, I feel like an accountant not a teacher. Should I just get an accountant/business advisor?

Many thanks

2. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

1 All the ones you knowalready, tho it's unlikely you will have rude children who deliberately try to injure themselves or you
    2 Not sure of the legal aspects. Most have insurance and just do online self assessment

3. Interesting questions.
    1) As a teacher just do what you've always done. Get public liability insurance, it is a legal requirement.
    2) Finances aren't really complicated. I set up a spreadsheet that calculates everything I need for my tax returns etc. With regards to VAT, as I understand it you need to earn about £60,000 per annum before this applies. As a sole trader if you manage to earn this good luck to you. If you don't feel happy doing your own accounts then try a book keeper first. They are much cheaper than an accountant and should be adequate for the type of work you will face.
    Keep very clear records, I write everything in a big desk diary. This shows who I have seen each day and the mileage involved.
    You must also register as self-employed within about 6 months of starting, there is a hefty fine if you don't. Most business advice centres can fill you in on all this and they offer this for free.

4. Thanks

5. cheers

6. cheers