1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Private Tutoring v Tuition Centres

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by Georginalouise, Feb 29, 2012.

1. Georginalouise

Georginalouise New commenter

I've been a full time private tutor for almost five years, tutoring mostly A level but with a handful of GCSEs as well. I started with an agency (for about six months) and I now work completely as an independent. At A level, parents want 1 to 1 tuition, and I have plenty of work. I don't advertise at all now, although I did for the first couple of years. I have a primitive website that I wrote myself, that does well in search engines in that I am the first independent tutor in my subject in town behind about eight agencies. Parents who contact me do so because they don't want to use a tuition centre, an agency or a national website. My clients mostly come word of mouth these days but I am still phoned by some who have found me on the internet.

I am now really busy, but it didn't happen overnight. The work slowly increased over about three years before I reached what appears to be my natural capacity.

2. Thanks very much for your replies - your comments have given me some hope so I'll persevere with the idea.

3. I run a KipMcGrath Education Centre and we are so popular that we had a waiting list in under a year with more than 100 students enrolled. Many parents prefer the resources that can be produced by an internationalcompany, using only qualified teachers, as opposed to taking a risk with the unknown quantity of a tutor.

4. I run a tuition centre and parents have told me that they prefer it to private tuition. This is because they know that all the teachers are qualified and CRB checked. The lessons are also carefully planned and checked by me, as well as progress of the students. Having said that, some parents prefer tutors to come to their homes, so be patient and don't be discouraged. Good luck!

5. GordonNome

GordonNome New commenter

How? By telephone is OK if you like. That's how I did it. Or a letter.
    What? Well, that you have taken on additional tuition work but that it is not for a fixed number of hours per week. So you will have to do a Self-assessment form at the end of the tax year. Keep good records of what you earn. Make notes and keep receipts for all allowable expenses (e.g. petrol to and from place of work, paper, printer costs, stationery etc.). You declare your school work as PAYE (assuming it is of course!) and then declare your tutoring work in the relevant place on the tax form.

Not actually too terrible as long as you keep receipts etc. Make sure you get pay slips from the tuition centre or keep details such as invoices you submit and details of how/when they pay you.

6. langteacher

langteacher Occasional commenter

I get most of my work through UK tutors. I have had some from First tutors and some from Tutor hunt. Tutors for me has been swallowed up by childcare.co.uk and I have not had any enquiries from them since this happened. I do one to one as well as small classes in a library and there are pros and cons for both.

7. I have tutored privately as well as run an after school centre.
    I would agree with the comments which suggest that word of mouth is the main way to attract new clients. Initially it takes a while, and you'll have to do a fair bit of advertising but both systems develop through referrals.
    I had a slight preference for the after school centre as I found it more engaging (I would teach in groups up to 5), as well as more financially rewarding.

Cazoom

8. grholden

grholden New commenter

Do those of you who work for tuition centres work as a teacher too?

Been trying to find tuition centres in my area, to research them, but not coming up with a great deal (Kirklees area, West Yorkshire).

9. I signed up with UK Tutors, First Tutors, Tutor Hunt and Childcare. For Childcare you have to pay a fee to get the details of would-be tutees; only two of these cropped up and both were too far away. UK Tutors and Tutor Hunt produced nothing. First tutors produced one student, which resulted in four lessons, running up to an exam. Even though you set how far you will travel with First Tutors, all but a few of the leads sent to me were over twenty miles away. I am based in NW London.

10. I hope you don't mind me asking but how much were you paid through the tutoring agencies? I'm a fully qualified teacher (PGCE 2010) and interested in moving away from whole class teaching and into tutoring. I'm researching all the different websites but while they give information on how much a franchise would pay none of them detail the rate of pay for tutors.

11. David Getling

David Getling Senior commenter

I've previously worked both at a centre and privately. Depending on how long it takes to get to the centre, and how many hours you get each time you are there, it doesn't make a great deal of difference, financially, to the tutor.

For a parent to choose a centre instead of a private tutor, however, they have to be fairly stupid. Provided you can get a good private tutor, having one-on-one tuition massively trumps having to share a tutor with 3 or 4 other students. And the cost to the parent is usually very similar.

12. langteacher

langteacher Occasional commenter

That's interesting as I get quite a bit of work from these websites. On the members area bit, you can look up the search statistics and this shows how many searches your profile has appeared in. It may be an idea to see how many people in your local area have considered your profile. If there are a number and you are not getting requests maybe you could update your profile or change your pricing structure. Just a thought...