1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Private tutoring to top up earnings - ideas or advice please?

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by lizziec, Nov 26, 2011.

1. Hi tink
    I'm not quite sure what you are asking... I'd start with a subject you are confident on... but I don't know how many people would be looking for a geography tutor...
    If you want to tutor a different agegroup than you are currently teaching, then I think you'll need to familiarise yourself with the ways that the subject is currently taught in schools...

Beyond that it's a case of finding students - which may mean advertising if you don't manage to get many at first by word of mouth.... and then making sure you are registered with the local tax office (they'll probably help you with this if you phone them up - but there's no point until you have a student!)
    Does that help at all - do post again if you want more ideas!

Liz

2. ***tink***

***tink*** New commenter

Hi Liz,
    Just re-read what I posted and it just proves that I shouldn't be allowed to post when on flu meds.
    What I was asking was whether there was anything in particular that I should know about tutoring (like what you have replied with (thankyou!))
    Obviously having sat and thought about it I decided to stick with what I know (Geography and English) and we'll see what happens with that.
    Thank you for your response! :)

3. PlymouthMaid

PlymouthMaid Occasional commenter

Hi, I don't think you will get much call for geography either but no reason you can't keep it in the list of things you can offer. The 11+ has very particular requirements really in that in my area, for example, you will need to be able to teach verbal reasoning (used to be non verbal too but that is currently off the schedule) and mathematics to about a year 7 level. Primary maths is a very popular request but also a lot ask for general English support as they may be struggling because of dyslexia and so on.