1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Private tutoring in public places

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by MrsBasden, Jan 9, 2017.

  1. Piranha

    Piranha Star commenter

    Thanks, @AshgarMary. I tend to take the view that I tell the tax man about my income and he/she can decide what that means in tax terms. I do all my tutoring at home, so my expenses are minimal and it would be far better for me to get the tax relief on £1,000 than relief on expenses. I found a little about it via Google - I am sure that there will be a lot more over the next year. It won't change how I organise my tutoring, so I won't need to do anything about it until I do my 2017-2018 tax return.
  2. MrsBasden

    MrsBasden New commenter

    Well, I had my last lesson with my one and only GCSE maths student yesterday and she's been a real pleasure to teach and has a completely different attitude now towards her exam.

    I tried to start the process of filling in the tax return/ self assessment yesterday but I'm having such a nightmare just logging in and have ended up with multiple accounts with my email address when trying to recover my account details. There seems to be a lot of waiting for the post for activation codes and unique access numbers and what not, and I'd just like to speak to someone who can help me in accessing the form to fill in the self assessment. I already have the UTR and have activated my account using Gov Verify but again, that was a long process.

    Does anyone know what the number and who to ask to speak to is please? Please, I'm finding this very stress inducing already!

    Thank you in advance.
  3. Mrsmumbles

    Mrsmumbles Star commenter

    I could be wrong on this but if you have not earned more than 11k between 5/4/16 and 5/4/17 I do not think you even need to complete one as it is absorbed by the tax free earnings allowance.
  4. langteacher

    langteacher Occasional commenter

    it is my understanding that everyone who is self employed has to fill one in regardless of how much you earn.
  5. theluckycat

    theluckycat Occasional commenter

    That was what I thought, I will be earning a lot less than £11k, however have registered as self-employed since I have a presence online and don't want to get a fine at some point. I won't pay tax, but may have to pay a small amount of national insurance which will go towards my state pension.
  6. Piranha

    Piranha Star commenter

    Last year, I wrote and told the tax man what I had earned from tutoring plus the rest of my income, and that was sufficient. I didn't have to fill in a whole tax return. My tax code for this year got adjusted to account for it.
  7. Steph2002

    Steph2002 New commenter

    Hi that's just the info I was looking for. I am only starting out, and only have one ongoing student! I was wondering if I need to go the whole hog and declare sole trader? How do I prove I have only earned a few hundred??
    I advertise on a tutor site.
  8. Steph2002

    Steph2002 New commenter

    Did they tax you more???
  9. Steph2002

    Steph2002 New commenter

    Hi did you register sole trader??
  10. Piranha

    Piranha Star commenter

    They just charged my basic rate of tax on the whole amount, which was right as my pension uses up my personal allowance. However, I have set it up as a private company and filled in a tax return for 2016-7. Tutoring is more of a hobby for me, and as I have a lot else on, I have let it lapse for the time being.

Share This Page