1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Private tutoring for a Year 2 child!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by k4b, Feb 2, 2012.

1. k4b

k4b New commenter

I also wanted to know how to start really. I mean her asked troday and wants me to start this weekend. i htink i'm going to go for it. I mean I need the cash as i'm pregnant and my baby is due in June.

2. greta444

greta444 New commenter

I have tutored year 2 and it's tricky. They can only manage about half an hour and then they've had enough. Saturdays are best. MySaturday students do better than my weekday evening ones.
    £10-15 for half an hour should be about right. Depends where you live.
    I don't tell anyone about my tutoring. Up to you if you want to inform the authorities.

3. sebedina

sebedina Occasional commenter

Hi, i've been tutoring for many years. No you don't need to be registered anywhere. Although some local authorities for the last couple of years have offered courses for accreditation as a tutor to existing classroom teachers.
    How much you charge depends where you live. As the child is only year 2, you would charge less than an older child.
    You will charge for the lesson, then a charge for the travel expenses, say £4 if you go to their house. If they come to you, then you can't charge for that.
    It is up to you how much you feel comfortable charging. I charge £24 for an hour of gcse english (£20 for the lesson and £4 for travelling, although if I work through an agency the rate is now £27-£30 per hour.
    I think you could charge £15-£18 for the hour. You need to establish a good relationship with the child and make the lesson fun as he/she is so young. You can include games and different activities to keep him/her on track plus give them homework to do.
    You don't need to tell the school, or anyone else, other than the parents. The parents may ask to see your PGCE/qualifications and you may need to be police checked already.
    Good luck. I have been tutoring for 16 years, so really know all the ins and outs.
    x

4. k4b

k4b New commenter

her father wants me to tutor her for 2 hours so what should i do about that.break it up with short walks and breaksor something. they live down the road from me so thats not a problem.sohow much for 1 hour - £30? 2 hours?

5. k4b

k4b New commenter

They will be dropping her off and she lives 1 min away.
    How do you think i should start off.

6. greta444

greta444 New commenter

2 hours is way too much. She won't want to do that long. I break up an hour with a chocolate break.
    Maybe 5 mins telly to break up that amount of time?

7. k4b

k4b New commenter

I did say to him that 2 hours is too long. But he said maybe 1 to 2 hours.If he says 2 hours straight once again should i just accept that then obviously have short breaks, go for a walk or watch telly like you said.

8. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

The parents of children I have tutored would have ended the contract immediately had their child gone home and mentioned watching television.

I'd suggest doing two sessions of an hour each on different days. Year 2 can manage an hour of learning if it is interesting and exciting.

Maybe sell it to the parents as a let's try an hour on different days and see how we go to start.

9. k4b

k4b New commenter

Ofcourse you are right. I am just gaining advice and all this is helping me. How much do you charge for 1 hour tutoring. The family asking me are like 1 min away so do not need to include travelcosts.

10. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

If they are friends I would go with £20-£25 per hour. If not then £30. But I don't really like tutoring any more so try to put people off with higher costs!