1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Private Tutoring for 11 year old, help!

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by ECM91, Jul 2, 2015.

1. I start my PGDE primary teaching in August and have worked in a primary school for the last year and a half.

I am due to start tutoring an 11 year old over the summer (2hrs per week) before she starts secondary school but I have never done home tutoring before. I am just wondering if anyone has any ideas on what the best methods would be. I am to focus mainly on literacy and numeracy - but also touch other subjects to help her prepare. I am sure I can find a lot of numeracy activities online and in books (hopefully?) but I am not so sure about the literacy. Does anyone have any suggestions of reading books and/or writing activities I could do? I have been asked to do 2 hours work with her and then leave "homework" for the following week. I am really struggling to find ways to take up this time.

Any ideas and info would be really appreciated! Thanks!

2. decj

decj New commenter

I'm sorry, this is probably not what you want to hear, but are you the best person to offer tuition if you're not already a qualified teacher and have never tutored before? Private tutors are professionals who aim to achieve the highest quality provision for their tutees, just as you would in the classroom. They draw on years of experience and resources in order to be able to provide the most appropriate and targeted tuition for the pupil in their charge and it seems to me that you are not best placed to do this. That aside, if you choose to pursue this, then of course you will need to do a full assessment of the pupil's needs first, and then take it from there.

3. jocraigie

jocraigie New commenter

I agree with decj. Are you really qualified to do this - do her parents know what little experience you have. You need to be up front and honest with them. If they still want you to do it then ask her what areas she finds difficult. If you need to purchase anything Letts to year 7 guides for literacy and numeracy which are quite good.

4. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

It appears that the OP does have some experience, decj and jo, and perhaps more importantly, is asking for advice, not criticism.

As a secondary teacher, a few things I have noticed many YR7s have problems with are spelling, handwriting and awareness of how to write a coherent sentence/paragraph. You could ask at the primary school for some extra curricular targets in relation to both literacy and numbers. More importantly, perhaps there is a pastoral element, eg. getting the student's confidence up so they will worry less when they go off in September.

Best wishes

5. decj

decj New commenter

Whilst I acknowledge that the OP does have experience of working in a school, she/he is not a qualified teacher. As long as the potential client is aware of this, and is happy to pay for her to provide tuition to their child, then I suppose no harm is done. However, the profession of private tutoring is beleaguered by many who pass themselves off as 'teachers' and charge £10 an hour (yes, I have seen advertisements to this effect) when in actual fact, they have no idea where to start. They are simply seeking to make a fast buck. Experienced and qualified teachers, like myself, charge a realistic rate (in my case £28 p.h.) which takes into account the enormous amount of time spent on planning relevant, targeted and personalised lessons which are underpinned by many years of knowledge and expertise. The average parent then wonders why they cannot get away with paying £10 an hour, when they see other tutors advertise themselves at this rate.

I think where the OP went wrong was in asking for advice. If he/she is 'struggling', then why did he/she agree to provide tuition in the first place? Asking experienced and qualified teachers for help in this situation, is likely to ruffle a few feathers.

6. langteacher

langteacher Occasional commenter

I agree.

I always start with a self assessment / how much do you know / what do you need to know type thing with any student and I teach from age 4 up to retirement....

Within the first half hour or so it is usually obvious what they need to work on. Obvious to me because I am a qualified teacher with lots of experience.

This is not intended as a criticism but if you cannot work out where to start should you really be taking this on

7. Siaran Leigh

Siaran Leigh New commenter

Hi ECM91

I have been a dyslexia tutor for over 10 years and in replying make the assumption you're a Teaching Assistant with experience in moving children from A to B. SabrinaKat makes good points about the areas of difficulty she sees. You do also need to find out where the student is. Ask the parents for any test results (levels, reading and spelling ages) and what they think needs supporting. More importantly ask the student what they like/don't like and what they feel they need to improve. This is their holiday time (as far as they are concerned) and the old adage applies- ' you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink'. In this respect it would not matter how qualified a teacher you are if the student decides they don't want to work or has poor self esteem and lacks motivation! SK is right to suggest handwriting, basic sentence/ paragraph construction. I have a good assessment document for handwriting, but not sure how to upload it, but let me know if you want me to describe what to do.

I would add reading for comprehension and if maths is an issue go right back and look at number - bonding,place value & fractions. Why they can't do something is as important as what they can't do, so look at where the process goes wrong for them

If the sum says 5 + 5 and they have written =4 or =7 don't just mark it wrong. Try and work out why it went wrong. They may havee reversed 5...... 2 +2 =4 or 2 +5=7

There is lots of material on TES or try Teaching English as a Foreign language sites as it often approaches English from a different angle. Youtube is great for finding out 'how to' before teaching or explore with the student. Enjoy the learning journey with your pupil this summer and well done for deciding to pursue in career in teaching as you seem to have the right attitude (in trying to find out what's best for your student) and the right heart for it. These qualities do not come automatically on attaining a PGCE or NQT status!

EALpapillon likes this.