1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

private tutoring and ofsted

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by annewake, Apr 8, 2015.

1. I am a highly experienced teacher thinking of starting private tuition. Will I be liable to Ofsted as a private tutor? Is there any reason why I can not tutor up to 4 children at a time (with similar need)?

Advice from experienced private tutor gratefully received.

2. langteacher

langteacher Occasional commenter

not as far as I know

3. GordonNome

GordonNome New commenter

I came across something a while ago in a different role where there was a question about if you "looked after" the young person for more than 2 hours. I think it was a gym nursery/childcare setting. I don't offer 2 hour sessions for anyone younger than AS/A2 students so think I am exempt. Not sure what happens if you have younger students for a half day.

Surely the rules would be similar to those for a childminder though? I imagine it would depend on length of tuition, whether it was at your home or theirs, and whether you were in sole charge of the child or if they had a responsible adult present.

4. Georginalouise

Georginalouise New commenter

I had a discussion once with a primary tutor (I tutor 'big' ones, nothing below year 10) who only taught 1-1 and we did talk about it. She said there is a grey area with private tuition and groups in that there is a point where you cease to be a tutor and are deemed to be a private school. She said that there was a limit on class size and number of hours taught in a week. I didn't look into it because it didn't apply to me, and I know that she stopped teaching anything other than 1-1, because she didn't want to be involved with Ofsted in any way whatsoever. I'm afraid I can't remember the detail.

5. langteacher

langteacher Occasional commenter

ooo that's interesting! I mainly do one to one but for a couple of years I did do two small groups for an hour each