1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Private Tutor

Discussion in 'Primary' started by morrish4, Apr 22, 2011.

1. My family is having some financial trouble at the mo so I have come up with the genius idea of as well as being a full time ks2 class teacher, I could do ks2 private tutoring for a couple of hours in the evenings each week to boost my income, am I crazy??? How do I get into doing this, do I have to sign up with an agency? Has anyone any experience of this? Thanks in advance for help and advice :eek:)

2. inq

inq

I do tutoring in the evenings as well as teach.
    To get started either spread the word amongst friends that you are looking for people to tutor, put a notice in your local newsagents or paper or join an agency. If you join an agency they will find you some people to tutor BUT tell you how much to charge and take a cut. Agencies don't always come up with many people for you to tutor and this isn't the best time of year to be looking for people as SATs are nearly upon us. You tend to find that once you have got 1 or 2 hapy people then they tell friends, the word spreads and you can get as much work as you want.
    I've found it is a good way to earn some extra money, I also find 1 hour in the evening is plenty to do. Things to think about also include how far you want to travel, will you charge if you/ child is ill, will you do it through the holidays, who will provide resources? There is a tutors forum on TES too.
    I have found that although I teach in primary I can also quite happily tutor maths to GCSE.
    Good luck

3. also - if you are in a selective or part selective area, can you tutor for nfer tests? if local children sit for private schools, can you tutor for their exams and for interviews?

4. I signed up on firsttutors.co.uk. You make a profile, set your age range/subject/prices (I started charging £15 an hour as I was new to it, could probably charge a bit more now) and they dont take any money. They make their money from the tutees searching for a tutor. You get a tutoring request and get to review it before you accept or decline. Theres a few websites like this I think.

5. greta444

greta444 New commenter

I put a notice in the local shop and now have 4 children a week. Word did spread pretty quickley after the first one. 1 hour after school is plenty as I have a family as well as a full time job. I do Saturday mornings too which isn't so exhausting. I charge £18 per hour which is probably quite low but to be honest, it's enjoyable and I consider it easy money.

6. lilykitty

lilykitty New commenter

Hi, I'm interested in tutoring too.
    I was just wondering how much information you put on your notice - did you put your name so parents of children at your school would recognise you, or did you make it quite anonymous?
    Thanks

7. greta444

greta444 New commenter

I just put 'home tuition by local fully qualified teacher' and a phone number. I didn't want anyone to know I was doing it as I thought my head may frown on it. She still doesn't know.... I think.

8. Thanks so much for all this help and advice this is great! :eek:)

9. The issue of getting children from the school I work at wasn't a problem for me as I work half an hours drive away from school.
    I also asked that where possible tutees were bought to my house for the session, otherwise its another half an hour or so out of your evening travelling to/from their house.

10. So did you not have to get any references ? Do you show your teaching certificate and CRB check ? Want to do some tutoring for extra money but dont want to broadcast it at school !

11. greta444

greta444 New commenter

certificates are there for anyone to see! What's your problem?

12. lilykitty

lilykitty New commenter

I think ff392 was saying that they want to do some tutoring without broadcasting it at school, and just asking whether you found you had to provide references / CRB, etc, rather than having a go at you.
    Sometimes posts are a bit ambiguous as to their meaning.

13. greta444

greta444 New commenter

Admire the positive outlook..

14. Don't have a problem showing my certificates - but the question was more around getting any references from school when, for many reasons, I would want to keep it private!