1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Private Tutor Lancashire

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by steffw89, Mar 18, 2016.

1. steffw89

steffw89 New commenter

Hi,

A bit of a cheeky post!

I am looking into setting up as a private tutor for GCSE English, I have an honours degree in English and currently work in pastoral support in a sixth form college. I am very passionate about my subject and am eager to pursue this career route so that i can help others through their own studies.

I am arranging volunteering in an evening adult course and a high school starting from September, however i am hoping to get myself set up as soon as possible.

With this in mind i was hoping (here comes the cheeky bit) that any local tutors may be willing to meet and discuss best practices or possibly even shadow them to help me get started and ensure that i am not completely on the wrong track!

Thank you for any help or support in advance!

2. Ian1983

Ian1983 Occasional commenter

If you're looking to meet up and chat with other English tutors, you might have more success directly emailing a few who live outside your area and be willing to travel a bit to meet them.

At the risk of sounding a bit selfish, if another maths tutor from my home town asked to meet me and get advice, I'd probably tell them where to go! However, if they were from 30 or 40 miles away and so not any competition, I'd say yes no problem

3. cwilson1983

cwilson1983 Occasional commenter

Will you be doing the tuition yourself or will you be employing other tutors and taking a commission? If it's the former, do you have actual teaching experience of the key stages you would target? I know from personal experience of when I was training to be a teacher on my PGCE that this was a common concern of parents-and rightly so.

I'm not saying you wouldn't be able to offer a service and wouldn't be successful but you may have to charge less than other tutors who have teaching experience.

As the previous poster highlighted it could be considered rude to ask another tutor in your local area (i.e. your future competition) for advice and to observe them. Would it not be possible to perhaps ask a colleague in your current place of employment to observe lessons or for advice on pedagogy, exam specifications etc? I feel you'd be much more successful in getting the information you require this way.