1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Private tuition

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by microbiology, Jul 2, 2018.

1. microbiology

microbiology New commenter

Hi All

What are the signs the parents no longer want to continue with the tuition and what to do?

I have asked parents of year 12 students to confirm if they would like to continue next year and I have had no response from a parent. Sent messages already.

What do I do in this case? I am coming across desperate but I'm really not. I just don't want to give their slot to another student.

Pls help

Thanks

2. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

Assume they do not. Pursue other clients. Your first duty is to your revenue.

3. microbiology

Thanks. This parent is part of a community I cater for.I teach about 15 students who know each other

Will this damage my reputation?

4. Vince_Ulam

Unless you have a contract then you have no obligation, nor do your recent clients. Even if they say they wish to continue then it is not revenue until they put money in your hand, they can pull out at any time between now and then and your planning falls apart. Do not hold appointments open for months without first receiving a deposit. If this community does not respect you enough to respond to your messages then look for business outside of it.

You are a business, get ahead of this. Send a CC polling interest, stressing the importance of continuity, and request deposits. If no deposits are forthcoming then CC explaining that you will always try to fit them in where possible but do not delay finding other clients.

5. phatsals

phatsals Occasional commenter

I always say 'please let me know by xxxx as I will be offering the place' etc, no reply, no problem and you're off the hook.

doctoryes likes this.
  6. doctoryes

doctoryes Occasional commenter

They may not know yet. At my child's sixth form they have Y12 to Y13 transition days both at the end of Y12 i.e. the last week of term and sometimes at the beginning of Y13. There does seem to be a significant drop out rate as a significant number of pupils change direction at the end of Y12 e.g. moving from A levels to more vocational courses.
    Most sixth forms have pupils taking 3 A level subjects from Y12, but a few still allow 4 subjects in Y12 and they "drop" one in Y13. The one with the lowest grade or that they have found most difficult is usually dropped! This may be the one they received tutoring in.
    Retention from Y10 to Y11 seems better than Y12-13 in my experience.
    I don't think that whether they continue tutoring or not is personal to your tutoring ability in any way.

7. microbiology

Thanks for all your reply.

This student is an A student and wishing to do medicine so I know she would have carried on. The only reason I can think of right now is the fact that I am no longer going to the tutee's house to tutor her

8. microbiology

She replied saying we will start next September which I don't buy so will book one in asap to replace her

9. Vince_Ulam

Cool, well done. She does not think that you are holding appointments open for her, I hope. If she wishes that, she pays a deposit.