1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Private Tuition

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by RebelX, Apr 1, 2012.

1. I haven't done this for many years and back in the day it was easy to drop an ad in the local free paper to get plenty of enquiries.

What's the situation today? Where do people place an ad? I'm assuming that parents mostly look online today or do they? Any advice would be appreciated.

2. I haven't done this for many years and back in the day it was easy to drop an ad in the local free paper to get plenty of enquiries.

What's the situation today? Where do people place an ad? I'm assuming that parents mostly look online today or do they? Any advice would be appreciated.

3. adamcreen

adamcreen Occasional commenter

There's a "Private Tutors" forum on this website where you might get more responses.

4. Got it, thanks.

5. ATW

ATW

Try looking for a maths tutor as if you are a student. You'll find out which websites are easy to use and also which ones are free to register. The more websites you are on the better your chances. If you are close to any schools it might also be worth asking if they have a noticeboard you could put your details on.

6. David Getling

David Getling Senior commenter

When I was in NZ I was able to place free A4 sized ads in some of the supermarkets, and they worked very well. I'm not sure if you could do the same where you are living, but maybe you could find a prominently located newsagent (or chipy, or pizza take away) that would let you place a large ad in his window.

7. Is suggest emailing the local Heads of Maths - I get regular requests from parents (both from my school and occasionally from others) and can't always fill them internally so am often looking out for other people to recommend...

8. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

be careful there are websites that set you up for free and then tell you that you have an some interest but need to pay before they give you the details (and the messages are very vague, so you may have noone asking for you at all!)
    There is a website that does very nice postcard size which are ideal to put up in local newsagents. and the first batch are free! I forget the name of the site, but am sure someone on here will remind me. They come up top on google searches.

9. ATW

ATW

This may be true but I have been registered with two during the last couple of years and have had no problems. The ones I can recommend from personal experience are first tutor and tutor hunt. Easy to register, easy for the students to search for a tutor and a safe site for everyone concerned. Had a number of responses within hours of registering.