1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Private Tuition - what's the going rate?

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by MaisieMai, Feb 7, 2011.

1. MaisieMai

MaisieMai New commenter

Hi,
    Have been asked to tutor a Year 6 child in literacy and numeracy in his own home, about 3 miles away. Haven't done tuition for years and so I'm not sure what to charge. What do others charge please and do you register as self-employed for tax purposes?
    Thanks guys.

P.S. Northern England, not London!

2. MaisieMai

MaisieMai New commenter

Hi,
    Have been asked to tutor a Year 6 child in literacy and numeracy in his own home, about 3 miles away. Haven't done tuition for years and so I'm not sure what to charge. What do others charge please and do you register as self-employed for tax purposes?
    Thanks guys.

P.S. Northern England, not London!

3. A friend of mine charges £18 per hour in Nothern England. I think this will price many people out of employing a tutor though. I suppose that it depends on your area and what is realistic to charge.

4. I charge £25 an hour and am based in the North. Have a very full diary and keep turning people away.
    Yes - you should register as self employed.

5. I'm the same, demand is currently extremely high in Cheshire!

6. MaisieMai

MaisieMai New commenter

Thanks to all for replying. I was thinking around £30 per hour. It seems to me though, that once you take off the tax etc and petrol costs, there won't be much left. After all, chiropodists, vets, solicitors etc charge much more for their time. Perhaps we're selling ourselves short. Swithering over whether to do it or not; it might lead to something else. I currently teach full time but would like to get out of the classroom. Is it possible to make a living just out of private tuition would you say?
    Thanks again.

7. PlymouthMaid

PlymouthMaid Occasional commenter

I think it needs to be at least £25 per hour or, as you say, there is hardly anything left after tax and petrol. One agency I know charges £4.95 per session if it is one of their introductions - daylight robbery.

8. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Supply and demand - what to price yourself at? Business is hard, isn't it!! Price yourself too high and you don't get the clients. Too low and it's hard to raise prices. Have a look at the competition and then go for the top 30% of the going rates - what qualifications have you got? I have 10 years teaching experience and a very strong commercial maths and science background. That is my added value compared to someone who hasn't even been in the classroom.
    What is your unique selling point? (You can tell I've done Business Link courses!!!)

[​IMG]

9. gergil4

gergil4 New commenter

You don't have to register as self employed if you're already earning. I spoke to my tax office and they added my yearly income from other work on to my teacher's pay and taxed me accordingly. You're allowed a certain amout in that form.
    I think £30 is a little steep, but some might pay. I get £21 in my own home, £25 if I travel.

10. MaisieMai

MaisieMai New commenter

I think you're right, octo. if I was a parent looking for a tutor, I wouldn't be prepared to pay £30, and yes, it's Manchester that I'm talking about! However, I do think that, as teachers, we sell ourselves short. Having given this a good deal of thought, I don't think I shall be doing the tuition now. It doesn't seem worth it after deuctions for tax, petrol etc. Shame really.
    Thanks to all who posted.