1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Private Tuition Group Sessions

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by Curlytot, Oct 17, 2017.

1. Curlytot

Curlytot New commenter

Hi all
    After teaching maths for the last six years, this year I decided to bite the bullet and be a private tutor. It's great! I work part time in a non-teaching job and fill my evenings with tutees. I am on three tutor websites and am starting to get word of mouth referrals but now I'm looking to expand and have two ideas I would like advice on.

1. How do I gain clients in the day time? Most of my students are year 11 so only available after 4pm. I am prepared to do online teaching - does anyone have tutees from abroad? Alternative education? etc

2. Has anyone taken on small group revision sessions? I'm thinking of hiring a local meeting space and running a series of year 11 revision sessions between January and May. Advertising on Facebook for up to five students per session. I live in an affluent town but it is small with only 2 high schools in a ten mile radius. Does anyone have any experience of running these type of sessions?

Thanks in advance

2. thekizzaa

thekizzaa New commenter

I only do group sessions. It works well for me.

3. Grace100

Grace100 New commenter

I teach groups on Saturdays at home. This is more effective than 121, financially. I left teaching in 2016 and have been tutoring for about a year.

Are you able to mention what type of non teaching job you do? I am also Maths, and would like to do something else during the week in addition to my Saturday tutoring.

4. thekizzaa

thekizzaa New commenter

If you don't mind me asking, how many students do you have in a group, and how much do you charge? Thanks!

5. Grace100

Grace100 New commenter

Oh the question was for Curlytot as you mentioned do something else outside teaching.

6. Grace100

Grace100 New commenter

I teach about 5 children per group, one of the the groups is dedicated to those doing 11+.
    Charging will depend on where you live. I charge £10 per hour, tutors who teach in centers tend to charge more.

7. Grace100

Grace100 New commenter

I teach groups on Saturdays at home. This is more effective than 121, financially. I left teaching in 2016 and have been tutoring for about a year.

Are you able to mention what type of non teaching job you do? I am also Maths, and would like to do something else during the week in addition to my Saturday tutoring.

8. thekizzaa

thekizzaa New commenter

Ah nice, I also do max 5 per group (although I prefer 4 if they're all doing different topics). I only teach secondary, so my prices are slightly higher.