1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Private schools reject offer of scholarships for poor white boys

Discussion in 'Education news' started by gainly, Dec 30, 2019.

1. gainly

gainly Lead commenter

From the BBC news website:

Two top English private schools have defended their decision not to accept a benefactor's offer of scholarships for disadvantaged white boys.

Winchester and Dulwich colleges have declined the offer - reported to be worth over £1m - by a former pupil from both, Professor Sir Bryan Thwaites.

The schools say they do not want to put ethnic restrictions on who can benefit from financial help.

Sir Bryan says he is now looking for state schools to accept his offer.

The philanthropist, who is 96 and plans to leave the funds in his will, attended Dulwich until the start of the Second World War, and then went on to Winchester.

His parents could not have afforded the fees for him and his brother without the aid of scholarships.

Sir Bryan says he wants to help white boys from disadvantaged backgrounds because they perform worse at school than their counterparts from other ethnic groups.

Sir Bryan told the Times newspaper that this was why he wanted to make a leading education available to others and believed the institutions were wrong to reject his offer on the basis that it was based on race.

He told the Times: "I have done a lot for both schools over the years and have been closely involved in them.

"All the more, therefore, do I feel that both schools have made a strategic mistake in their interpretation of legislation."

Trevor Phillips, the former chair of the Equality and Human Rights Commission, said the Equality Act of 2010 was not designed to favour people of colour, but to ensure equality.

He told the Times that Sir Bryan's proposal simply showed he "wanted to do the right thing by families who need support".

In August last year, the rapper Stormzy announced he would fund two black British students to go to the University of Cambridge.

I wonder if they would have turned the money down if it had been to help disadvantaged black boys.

2. lunarita

lunarita Senior commenter

Quite possible, given that
    While I understand why he might want to focus on disadvantaged white boys given their low achievement statistically, it would set a prededent which the school seems, quite wisely, to want to avoid. It's a pity he doesn't trust the school to decide which disadvantaged students, make of female, white, brown, black, yellow or red, it believes could benefit from those scholarships.

3. gainly

gainly Lead commenter

They are both boys schools, so the issue of male or female doesn't arise.

4. lunarita

lunarita Senior commenter

That's for another thread, I suppose.

But there's no suggestion that they're 'white boys' schools', though in reality they may be largely so in practice. It's understandable that the schools don't want to compromise their position on this.

5. Morninglover

Morninglover Lead commenter

I'm suspicious of anyone who says they only want their money, after their death, to help white pupils. As said above, trust the schools to support the most appropriate individuals, whatever their colour etc.

durgamata, yasf and phlogiston like this.
  6. Jonntyboy

Jonntyboy Occasional commenter

I disagree. In reality, I suspect that it's simply that they are afraid of accusations of not being "woke" enough, or of somehow failing ethnic minorities.

So for me it's "well done Sir Bryan" and "well said Sir Trevor". It is indeed time that fake racism gave way to real help for those genuinely disadvantaged and/or forgotten in the face of the insane maelstrom of political correctness and the race industry.

FormosaRed and gainly like this.
  7. install

install Star commenter

There are imo white males from 'disadvantaged backgrounds' and to think there isn't is somewhat blinkered. Indeed, there are disdvantaged children from all ethnic backgrounds.

For largely white private schools to feel compromised makes me think that perhaps they sadly do not see poverty/disadvantage as a white issue too. Maybe they are stuck in a Class System and do not want to see poor white people improving themselves.

And perhaps they need to get round more and visit the poor single rooms some call home. Some might say the 'class system' is alive and kicking still. And that they cannot comprehend a rich person trying to help out poor, disadvantaged white boys from the very lower classes of society.

Jonntyboy and FormosaRed like this.
  8. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

A few thoughts here:
    These schools are making progress in providing bursaries, up to 100% of fees.
    Stormy's scholarship limited to black students has been widely applauded.
    We have a Black Police Association but no White one.
    Poor white boys perform worst of all groups excepting Romany and Travellers.

9. install

install Star commenter

Are the wealthy private schools being prejuduced by not allowing disadvantaged, poor white boys from the lower classes /different cultures to have a place in their schools?

10. catbefriender

catbefriender Lead commenter

It seems that the black children from West Indian origin are doing worst than the white working class children from these statistics. While some white working class children are doing badly, invariably some black children from West Indian origins are doing far worst.

https://www.ethnicity-facts-figures...for-children-aged-14-to-16-key-stage-4/latest

When you break Asian up into Indian, Pakistanis, Chinese and Bangladeshi, you will find that the Chinese are top of the league for everything, above all the ethnic groups, and the Bangladeshi are lower down the league.

If you divide the black groups up into West Indian and African, you will find that the African are higher up than the white working class.

It really is important to define exactly what disadvantage is. You could be dirt poor but living in a council flat in a leafy borough therefore having access to a top school by virtue of being in a good catchment.

The solution is, every child, regardless of race, gender, familial and economic background having access to a first class State education and being educated by teachers who are qualified and who are inclusive.

Fat chance....:(

durgamata likes this.
  11. FormosaRed

FormosaRed Occasional commenter

It's not about trust. Sir Bryan is making a gift in recognition of what he received. There are lots of additional bursaries in place for other groups and one group that is struggling is the attainment of white boys from disadvantaged backgrounds.

That is the group Sir Bryan particularly wants to help. It's a real shame those schools have put their woke ideology above trying to help a few lads get some decent GCSEs.

install and Jonntyboy like this.
  12. FormosaRed

Neither Dulwich nor Winchester are "largely white". Dulwich has a majority of BME students (obvs. It's in South London) and the intake for yr 9 at Winchester in September was more than half BME.

13. FormosaRed

Yes, from their response to the offer of Sir Bryan's generous gift. They are discriminating against the group of students who most need the help.

I hope Bryan offers it to a few state schools in Workington after this.

14. install

install Star commenter

Thank you.

Which makes the rejection of the offer more odd imho.

FormosaRed likes this.
  15. install

install Star commenter

I do wonder if the sponsor had been more famous would the scholarship had been accepted under those conditions? Afterall, Cambridge Uni accepted Stormzy's offer to help social mobility.

16. FormosaRed

No I don't think so. I think it was really about fear of breaching anti discrimination laws. Sad. That money could have changed lives for the better.

install likes this.
  17. install

install Star commenter

Thank you. Agree and it would appear so.

And the donor is looking to find schools that will accept the good deed. What is concerning according to the donor is that Cambridge Uni will accept funds for a named ethnic group, but the 2 private schs will not. (Acc. to media reports). Perhaps Cambridge was wrong to accept Stormzy's donation then, but I for one am glad they did. Charity goes a long way imho no matter what the background, religion, ethnicity, disability or gender.

The donor is now looking to other schools.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2019
  18. Morninglover

Morninglover Lead commenter

Bring back grammar schools and/or direct grant schools, perhaps? They allowed bright pupils from poor backgrounds (many white, of course) to go to excellent schools.

I speak as one who benefited from such a school more than 50 years ago. Since the 1970s only those with deep pockets can send their children to my old school

19. install

install Star commenter

Banning private schools would be a better option imho. For social mobility to improve then the class divisions need to be evened out.

We already know that private schools can do easier gcses for example whilst state schools cannot. Money talks..