1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Private school interview

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by scabbers88, Jan 18, 2016.

1. scabbers88

scabbers88 New commenter

hello!

I have been offered an interview at a private school later this week. Has anyone got any advice on what they could be looking for that is different to state schools?

I have formed an idea for my observed lesson, just a bit nervous about the questions they may ask. The school I'm currently in is very very different to the one I have applied to. But I thought it would be good experience if I got to look around and be interviewed (regretting that now ha!)

Thanks

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

So what is an Indy school looking for?

• Outstanding examination results. Spell it out with data
    • Understanding of the ethos of their type of school, and commitment to it
    • Generous contribution to the co-curricular programme
    • Willingness to go the extra mile

Take care with your lesson. Compare their results with your school. They will expect you to have high expectations, and pupils may well be a year advanced. There will also be no time wasting in the lesson, so make sure that you don't run out of material, and have a Plan B if you have the level wrong.

The worst thing in my school was candidates sticking like from death to a lesson plan that was clearly the wrong level and not challenging enough.

For general help on interviews, and tips on Indy schools come and ask on the Job seekers forum. Scroll down to find it!

Best wishes

3. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

In my experience ( mostly state but some private schools) they excpect professional, enthusiastic classroom teaching first and foremost, but also extra curricular participation too. So think what you can offer, both linked to your subject and outside.

Good luck!

4. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

Also consider the pastoral side (form or tutor group) in relation to not only registration but also activities (I see my group for morning and afternoon registration, plus an hour a week - where we do games, discuss what happening in their lives, activities (we made christmas ornaments, etc). I check planners, liaise with other teachers, so that any academic, social or behavioural issues are addressed quickly. That aspect of pastoral care is very essential in the indie sector (especially girls only), so you might want to think about that as well...

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  5. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Read as ,much as you can about how the school sells itself to parents, and then think about how you can show that you fit into this well. Otherwise, present tyourself as you really are. Teach a lesson as you usually would, not as you think they might want you to. If you get a job by pretending to be what you are not, then you won't like it.

Do take the advice given above - it all makes sense.