1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Private Peaceful essay question

Discussion in 'English' started by MrVixen, Feb 27, 2007.

1. Have you tried any that have been particularly succesful? Especially with Y7
    Thanks

2. Anyone?

3. Haven't got an essay question, but I did an inform, explain and describe task with them about the use of gas in WW1. It gave them a chance to do some research (i gave info to the weaker class) and they produced some really good leaflets.

Try the Herts Grid For Learning as well: there's a good year 8 scheme of work that can be easily adapted.

4. We have a generic question which students use on whicever novel they read in Y7. It is:

"How does the writer use language and structure the story in order to hook the reader?"

Covers AF 4, 5 and 6.

They also take part in a S&L activity:

"Task:
    Imagine you are a character from the novel you are reading. Give a talk introducing an aspect of the novel. (E.g. If this is a school-based text, tell new students about your school."

Covers 7SL 2, 3 and 15.

5. i remember doing one as myself in yr 7!

A character diary from a book you've read together in class- imagining what's happened once the books finished.

good for description and reflective writing, as well as showing understanding of the text

6. Eva_Smith

Eva_Smith Established commenter

But in Private Peaceful, it's a bit depressing, because one main character is dead, and the other one tells us that he's off to the battle of the Somme, where he probably (going to statistics) died himself.

7. Eva_Smith

Eva_Smith Established commenter

So, clicked 'post' too early.

Was going to say....

So it'd be a bit depressing to do a 'what happened next' piece.

What about something along the lines of a discursive piece of writing:

"All young men should complete 2 years compulsory military service. Discuss"