1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Private maths tutoring...

Discussion in 'Primary' started by giraffe77, May 19, 2011.

1. Hi, Have been asked to do some private maths tuition for a friend's daughter, who's 10. Was a Year 4 teacher, so more than capable of teaching it, but a bit nervous about timing of the lesson (ie what time of day?), and lesson structure. I'd be able to borrow bits and pieces from my school as resources, but just isn't sitting quite right with me.
    Any tales or experience of this?
    Thanks

2. Hi, Have been asked to do some private maths tuition for a friend's daughter, who's 10. Was a Year 4 teacher, so more than capable of teaching it, but a bit nervous about timing of the lesson (ie what time of day?), and lesson structure. I'd be able to borrow bits and pieces from my school as resources, but just isn't sitting quite right with me.
    Any tales or experience of this?
    Thanks

3. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

You're better off posting on the Private Tutor forum. I tutor year 4 - 1hr lesson usually about 4pm. Keep it varied, make it interesting, focus on areas of weakness and consolidate what they know. You'll be surprised what you learn about a child doing 1-1.
    It's great fun and will help you as a teacher. I charge £25 an hour. Oh - and it's fascinating seeing what teenagers learn. Not much of a step up from primary in some cases.

4. gergil4

gergil4 New commenter

I've taught after school, early evening and Saturday mornings. Choose a mutually convenient time - more convenient for you, and if it doesn't work, change. An hour max, but I've known others do more. As long as the activities are varied it should work, you'll be amazed at how quickly time passes. I've taught both at my home and their's. It works differently for different children.