1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Private Guitar Teaching?

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by SD_Lickiss, May 9, 2011.

1. Basically I work part-time at as a TA at an independent during my university holidays but I'm working there full time there from May till the end of term, and possible through the next academic year if I don't get the job I actually want, also as a TA/unqualified science teacher.

I recently performed at a local music festival unrelated to the school whereby one of the parents who recognised me there asked if I would be interested in teaching his son guitar. I've been playing for a while and I'm quite good (got ma grade 8's) but I've never taught before and I made this clear to the parent in question during our discussion but he seemed unconcerned. I don't know the boy that well but the father seemed a nice enough man. I was just wondering whether this is something that is normal? Do teachers/TA's do extra work doing private tuition for their students (not just in music but anything) and is it something that is discouraged?

If I'm honest I could use the extra cash and I'm sure it wouldn't be too difficult to at least take him up a few grades before he needs someone who actually knows what they're talking about with guitar lessons.

I just wanted to check what other people's thoughts were?

2. stupot101

stupot101 Established commenter

I have PM'd you keypoolfc26