1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Private Ed. Psych. assessment

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by Alice W., Jul 29, 2020.

  1. Alice W.

    Alice W. New commenter

    I'm tutoring a boy (due to go into Y6 in September), who is performing about 2 years below his peers. He's 'had problems' since nursery and has extra help in school, but is still struggling. He cannot follow more than one instruction and seems to have great difficulty retaining information (short term). I think he has some kind of processing problem (possibly APD) - there's nothing wrong with his hearing. It's nothing to do with intelligence, as he can do things that are very straight-forward or guided. Mum wants to 'get things moving' (and so do I) and wants to know how to go about consulting with an educational psychologist, privately.

    Can anyone advise, as the boy's doctor didn't know what APD was and mum was advised to go through school. Does anyone know how to go down this route privately, please?
  2. minnie me

    minnie me Star commenter

    Perhaps the Ed Psych attached to the school would do the assessment for a fee ? or advise of a colleague who could/ would . I am sure there is an association with a list of professionals you / the family could source and approach ?
  3. Alice W.

    Alice W. New commenter

    Thanks for that. I've looked at associations, but it's hard to know who to trust. The mum's doctor said to call him back, if she 'had no joy' with school, but I'm worried that it'll just drag on and on and the boy in question will be at high school, before you know it.

    ACOYEAR8 Star commenter

    From an SEN website:

    However, from your point of view, if you are looking at private education, LEAs can be quite unhelpful (because they generally don’t want to pay for private schools) Therefore you may be better off with your own independent Ed Psych report. It’s ESSENTIAL that you choose a “Chartered” Education Psychologist belonging to the British Psychological Society. The only exception would be a recognised medical Clinician who was an authority on the designated disability. We regret to say that there are some plausible sounding Ed Psychs in practice who do not know what they are doing and are not properly qualified. Some have even been debarred by the BPS. The other factor is to check that the Chartered Ed Psych specialises in children of the age range of your child (ren) plus the nature of SEN suffered.
    Wotton likes this.
  5. Alice W.

    Alice W. New commenter

    Thank you very much for your advice. I feel better equipped to speak to his mum about it now.
  6. Wotton

    Wotton Lead commenter

    The only child I know with APD was "diagnosed" at the local hospital and this was done through the GP. I don't recall them being seen by an EP at all. Having said that the parents never did show me the report from the hospital with supporting information.
  7. Alice W.

    Alice W. New commenter

    Thank you for that. I did wonder about it coming under a medical 'kind of thing' and told mum to speak to her doctor, which she did. He however, didn't even know what APD was and suggested that it was a sensory disorder, which of course it's not. He also told her to just speak to the staff in school. This student has been struggling since nursery and we just want to do what's best for him asap. We all know how schools work (or don't) and just don't want him going to high school without the appropriate support put in place.
  8. Alice W.

    Alice W. New commenter

    PS How did the child you know get 'diagnosed'. Who did they see at the hospital? Who were they referred to?
  9. Wotton

    Wotton Lead commenter

    It was so long ago I'm not sure who they saw. The parents were a bit obsessive about the finding something wrong. As I said I never did see anything from the hospital.
  10. Wotton

    Wotton Lead commenter

  11. Alice W.

    Alice W. New commenter

    Aaaah, so they saw an audiologist. Thanks for that. I'll suggest that mum goes back to the doctor to ask for a direct referral. It would be much quicker and straight-forward (I hope!). I'd already googled your suggested link the other day, but thank you for reminding me.
  12. Flanks

    Flanks Senior commenter

    APD is a remarkably specific diagnosis and often very misused by poor Ed Psychs for 'we can't justify dyslexia, so we will say this instead'. When done correctly by Paediatricians (not Psychs) it is a very different kettle of fish.

    But looking for APD out of the gate is beyond bizarre, is this part of the 'I read something on the internet' approach to diagnostics?
  13. Alice W.

    Alice W. New commenter

    Do you have anything to say that's helpful? You seem to be quite knowledgeable about APD (which no-one else I've asked is), but don't offer any advice. If you want to read my original message, it explains that (in my opinion) I'm not sure what the problem is. Mum spoke to her doctor (never mentioned APD), who suggested that an assessment can be done with a nurse ('not a clue what that would involve). I'm just trying my best to help the family, who are desperate to get the help they need asap. I'm not an Ed. Psych. or paediatrician, but a teacher with over 30 years' experience.
  14. moonpenny

    moonpenny Occasional commenter

    Flanks likes this.
  15. Alice W.

    Alice W. New commenter

    Yes, I know about that and they have one at my local hospital. I've already googled the NHS' information about it and it's very clear and helpful.

    Thank you for helping.
  16. Flanks

    Flanks Senior commenter

    I asked you a question which you didn't answer. Had you answered it I could have been helpful. Namely, where did the idea of APD come from?

    You seem to feel that I'm having a go, if so then I apologise for how I came across.

    APD is one of those labels which is often misqueried because if you look up a list of symptoms it sounds like half a dozen behaviours we all have. So I asked you how the idea had come about, because knowing that allows other people too make helpful suggestions.

    If your purpose was to ask 'i think it's APD, doctor doesn't know about it so how can we explore it privately' then you don't need us and already found your answers through Google.
  17. Alice W.

    Alice W. New commenter

    Thanks for that. When I know something's not right, then I try my hardest to help someone. I often 'google' things, but do not take everything at face value. I just said that it could be APD, as my student's 'symptoms' tie in extremely closely with this, but nothing else. I'm also feeling quite cross with his school, for letting him get this far, without the right support. In my opinion, he needs an Ed. Psych. assessment in school asap. Whether or not that'll happen, is another matter.

Share This Page