1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Private dyslexia centre requesting Form 8

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by Mermaid7, Feb 2, 2019.

1. Mermaid7

Mermaid7 Occasional commenter

A Year 11 student is having a private dyslexia assessment this half term. The assessment centre has requested a Form 8 from school. No identified SEN, no history of need or concerns from subject teachers. Would completing a Form 8 contravene access arrangements regulations? Thanks in advance for any replies.

2. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

Why do they need a form 8 they are assessing her for dyslexia not for access arrangements.

Mermaid7 and minnie me like this.
  3. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Given her profile wouldn’t the detail of a Form 8 be rather difficult to complete ? Have parents shared with you what they expect to happen ( ie the school to action) with the findings of the assessment?

4. Mermaid7

Not as yet - the request was out of the blue. I agree with you about the detail of the form 8.

5. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Bizarre - I could be cynical and suggest what they anticipate/ want .... !? ...let us know how it goes ?

Mermaid7 likes this.
  6. Flanks

Flanks Established commenter

Sounds to me like they are asking for a completed section a, so that they can fill in section c.

I would refuse, as jcq require you to commission assessment for section c.

Mermaid7 and minnie me like this.
  7. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

I wouldn't have anything to do with it, many of the schools I work in have a policy of ignoring all private assessments, you can basically pay to have your child diagnosed with anything, and who has the time to evaluate these providers.

nelsonsjp likes this.
  8. Flanks

Flanks Established commenter

I evaluate the hell out of them when I read their report ;) Got a great list of 'assessors' who I routinely ignore!

dunnocks likes this.
  9. Mermaid7

That’s a very good point - do you have a link to the JCQ regulations on this or the page number in the book, please?

10. Mermaid7

I have found the relevant rule.
    Page 89 of this year’s orange JCQ book - 7.3.5 and 7.3.6

Flanks likes this.
  11. moonpenny

moonpenny Occasional commenter

I’m probably going off the point of the thread but it is possible for a child to have a need but there can be a lack of history of need if for some reason the child has not been on the radar of the school/ senco - this can often be with children who are on the face of it, performing ok in school.

Just to give an example, my 20 year old son is dyspraxic. He is a university student.

When he moved to secondary school, I filled in the initial pupil home information form to point out that I felt he had dyspraxic tendancies and was this something the school felt they could look in to? This was never investigated further by the school and as my son seemed to be coping well with his coursework I did not follow this up at that point.

Fast forward to his GCSEs, he did these without the use of a computer or extra time.

At college, he was sent to see the senco as the tutors said his handwriting was illegible,

During his AS levels, he was given a computer in exams which made a big difference to him.

I then got him formally assessed at the age of 17 in readiness for university as most universities require a report in order for a computer to be used in exams.

The diagnostics assessment by a private assessor recommended a computer and extra time in exams but he only got the extra time in year 2 of A levels not for AS levels. He is also mildly dyslexic.

He ended up with 3 A stars at A level but got a B for maths - I think the dyspraxia and difficulty with clearly laying out his work had a negative impact.

He still experiences problems at uni because of dyspraxia - although he got a 1 st for his 2 nd year and is now studying for an Erasmus year at one of the best universities for economics in Barcelona.

He often mixes dates up - on several occasions he has gone to meet his college friends when he comes back home a day early. His handwriting is illegible.

He has to take a photo of any work he does like algebra as he says he cannot find the paper version even though he knows how to file work, it just gets lost. He is often late and has a very poor concept of time. His mind always seems on higher things so he is really forgetful and always leaves something behind when he travels or goes back to uni after visiting us. This is not laziness or lack of effort as he works extremely hard.

My main point is none of this was picked up at school.

I am not blaming anyone - I could have been more pushy but I wasn’t. Sencos are busy.secondary schools can have over 1000 kids on roll.

Instead of dismissing the work of private assessors, why not view this as something that may bring new info to light about a student as yet not on their radar.

Also as a private assessor, we are expected to often liasie with schools and colleges about form 8s and complete them in our own time and in additional to writing the full diagnostic report with no extra payment for doing so - it is often done with a lot of goodwill on our part.

I know we ( private assessors) have to have a working relationship with the school and I understand how hard it is if the child is not on the radar of the senco to complete part A of form 8.

I am travelling to a school soon to establish that working relationship and it will take me at least half a day plus quite substantial travel costs and I will be doing this for free! We are trying to ease the workload of the senco and prevent a child from having to be assessed twice. It would be much easier and take less time not to bother at all.

12. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Interesting post @moonpenny. So happy that your son has achieved so much . I do think it scandalous that schools are allowed to let students get by . Was it a ‘ successful ‘ setting ? I am surprised with your background that you were not more vocal ? I feel for parents / caters who are helpless, whose concerns are dismissed and who lack the knowledge to pursue.

Just wondering what the student in question makes of the situation in which she finds herself at this stage in her school career?

moonpenny likes this.
  13. moonpenny

Hi Minnie me

It was actually a needs improvement comp - I suppose I wasn’t very vocal as he was doing well ( in comparison to his peers) but in hindsight, it would have been better for me to be pushy as he A level grades were much better than his GCSE grades which were mixed from A stars , As and a couple of Bs to D for Spanish although he can now speak Spanish fluently and I am sure he would live over there permanently if he could.

14. moonpenny

One of the things which interests me in terms of history of need, is that often average or above average performing pupils are seen as doing ok. This is often because they are working incredibly hard to compensate - they can be overlooked because they are doing ok.

It can be later on in their academic lives that they start to struggle more obviously for example at university or later on in the workplace or during professional exams. So those individuals may not necessarily have a history of need in terms of documented evidence but they may have a history of undocumented needs.

I am also interested in the whole picture of assessment - many dyslexic people I have worked with have benefited from early identification in terms of developing their literacy skills but they often continue having difficulties at later stages in their education/ working life. For example, decoding may no longer be a problem but retaining and processing written information or planning and structuring writing quickly may carry on being problematic . Some people still require extra time to write and read. This can have implications in the workplace, in terms of report writing, reading heavy text based documents. I have met many dyslexic adults on performance management improvement plans. This is why having dyslexia evidenced in the form of a written report is a good thing as then that person has some degree of legal protection.

We really need to keep the bigger picture in mind in terms of assessment as even with focused support, support needs can remain even if a person has developed successful strategies over the years.

minnie me likes this.
  15. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Yes totally agree . A bit suprised at the school scenario . From my experience it is the higher achieving settings ( and I worked in a selective LA :( ) which were least equipped to accommodate students with SEND . I suppose that given the secondary’s circumstances your son was ‘no trouble ‘ ( and assume other issues took priority) ... An excuse .....but not a good one