1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Private car on school trips

Discussion in 'School trips' started by primarysteve, Oct 10, 2011.

1. If someone has been using their private car to take pupils to off site venues such as a local sports facility once a week are they entirely able to then refuse to continue to do so? Reasonable notice would be given.

2. blazer

blazer Star commenter

You are under no obligation to transport kids in your car. If you do so then you must have business insurance and must prove to your employer that you have the insurance. If circumstances change and you cannot/will not do the transport any longer then just say that. Give them a date after which you will not be doing it. There are also safeguarding issues if you are the sole adult in the car with the kids and you must take steps to insure the safeguarding of the kids. Also if you are alone in your car with kids you are also making yourself vunerable to malicious claims from the kids! I would only transport a kid in an emergency or with the full written permission of parents with a strict instruction of the times, dates, purposes etc. I would never be alone in a car with a child. I would only take a child I could trust in my car.

Plus they would have to listen to Radio 2!