1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Private candidate predicted grade

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by darth15, Jun 7, 2020.

1. darth15

darth15 New commenter

Hi,

I've been asked to provide a reference for a private candidate that I was tutoring for a few months before the cancellation of the summer exams. The university hasn't actually asked anything for yet.

I wondered if anyone has done the same? Any advice would be great.

Thanks

2. doctoryes

doctoryes Occasional commenter

I did provide a reference for a private candidate to UCAS and a separate application made outside UCAS. However I wouldn't do it again without the following:
    some actual evidence e.g. tests set for the student
    record of attending lessons
    stating they have actually completed the course.
    None of those were in place for this student and I now regret doing the reference.

3. suzette

suzette Occasional commenter

Agreed. It's easy for a student to get a reference off you and they've not attended their course or done well on it. Also if they're a lazy, difficult student why would you want to big them up??

4. DonutBoy99

DonutBoy99 New commenter

I was asked for a private candidate who I had tutored a dozen times. They were an excellent student and I was happy to predict a grade, but I did this with the caveat that they had done no timed assessment with me that was done under exam conditions.

5. darth15

darth15 New commenter

Thanks for the responses so far. I'm normally happy to give general references, not sure for predicted grades as a private tutor, on how credible they can be. Plus, the university hasn't actually asked for a reference yet so I'm not sure what they want.