1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Priti Patel: Bullying claims from time at DfID revealed

Discussion in 'Personal' started by chelsea2, Mar 4, 2020.

1. peakster

peakster Star commenter

NOBODY should be bullied at work - I've been through it and it was very unpleasant.

Morninglover and ilovesooty like this.
  2. alex_teccy

alex_teccy Star commenter

You advanced the ideological concept “toxic masculinity” which literally seeks pathologize masculinity in a way that is deeply harmful to the sense of self worth in young men.

Secondly you constructed a hypothesis of sexual abuse and hierchies which deliberately excluded any reference to women, including a women at the heart of the affair, Ghislaine Maxwell.

Kandahar likes this.
  3. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

Agreed.

4. Kandahar

Kandahar Star commenter

Indeed. The hypocrisy stinks.

alex_teccy likes this.
  5. ilovesooty

Fascinating... if I gave an airborne act of procreation. No attempt to justify the misogynistic content of your posts and the way you stereotype women then?

6. ilovesooty

Still... I'm not intending to derail the thread on account of one poster's behaviour.

Patel should be investigated. This should be the case if she were male. The fact that she is a woman isn't relevant in terms of deciding whether she has been guilty of bullying in the workplace.

7. Kandahar

Kandahar Star commenter

Women Who Hate Other Women: The Psychological Root of Snarky

An interesting insight (American naturally). There was a survey carried out the other day that found that women hate actively hate other women (compared to men hating women) by a wide margin. I can't locate it right now. It goes someway to explaining what we see here.

8. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

Not just "should be" but "is being". It was announced a few days ago that the head of the civil service, Sir Mark Sedwill, is in charge of the investigation

9. Kandahar

Kandahar Star commenter

Indeed, and as with all enquiries - we must wait to hear any decision.

10. ilovesooty

Thank you. I hope it proves to be a robust and accountable investigation.

11. smilingisgoodforyou

smilingisgoodforyou Occasional commenter

I am no Tory supporter, but what has happened to "innocent until proved guilty?" No one here knows what happened. It's all speculation. Wait until an enquiry has been completed before chastising her.

12. Kandahar

Kandahar Star commenter

There is always the tendency to confuse robust management with bullying. My short time in the services for example - those Sgt Majors wouldn't last a day in today's workplace where people cry "bully" at the drop of a hat.

13. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

It was a general question.
    Applicable to anyone in a position of leadership.
    No one has answered it yet.

ilovesooty likes this.
  14. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Having retired, I am no longer in a position of leadership. But if you want a retrospective answer, no.

chelsea2 and ilovesooty like this.
  15. ajrowing

ajrowing Lead commenter

Nonsense. It is much more fun to have ill-informed bigoted rants.

border_walker likes this.
  16. ajrowing

ajrowing Lead commenter

Indeed as is evident from events at Deepcut and elsewhere there has been a serious bullying problem int he services.

17. ilovesooty

Which is exactly the reply I'd expect from a decent manager and person. After all, it's been stated that it's perfectly possible to manage rigorously and challenge staff without bullying people . There should be no confusion. Only the inadequate bully.

nomad, ajrowing and chelsea2 like this.
  18. Orkrider2

Orkrider2 Star commenter

I ‘advanced’ it? How? And also, it does nothing of the sort. It refers to a restrictive set of stereotypes about what makes a man a man, which can be harmful to the sense of self-worth in young men.

What? In that conversation, it was explicitly talking about what leads powerful men to not be held accountable for their actions. Suggesting that not deviating from that conversation to include women, or even a specific woman, is evidence that I’m just criticising men for being men is just silly.

19. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

And The Guardian goes full on racist...

upload_2020-3-7_9-32-23.png

And before the usual suspects go "what's racist?" ... if Sadiq Khan was portrayed as a pig in the Daily Mail... yeah it'd be seen as racist.

Kandahar likes this.
  20. Kandahar

Kandahar Star commenter

Let all here be in no doubt...the hate shown on this thread is motivated by envy, sexism and racism.